Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
N

• 

7 Messages

Sat, Nov 21, 2020 9:52 PM

cisco gigabit switch no internet with AT&t arris bgw210-700

I'm using AT&t arris bgw210-700 gateway for AT&T internet connection. I just setup cisco SG112-24 24-Port Gigabit Switch connecting with the bedroom ethernet port, so that I can get more ports for wired connections. However, even green lights are on in the switch, there is no internet when I launch a browser. The home internet is working fine without the switch. Any ideas? Are there any configurations I need to do in the gateway admin console? Please advise. thanks!!

Responses

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

7 days ago

So you have a bedroom port where the switch plugs in and that port presumably goes back to one of the BGW's yellow Ethernet ports?  What happens if you plug a computer directly into that bedroom port instead of the Cisco switch, does that computer work ok?

To answer your question, no, this is a totally unmanaged "dumb" switch so there aren't any settings in the BGW or the switch that need to be changed.

• 

7 Messages

7 days ago

thanks @tonydi Yes it is working when the bedroom port connect to my computer directly. But it doesn't work after switch is connected to the bedroom port, and then computer connect with the switch

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

7 days ago

Well then, the only things I can think of that are left are the switch itself or the cable from the switch to the wall.

How about this....bring the switch to the BGW and plug it into the same Ethernet port as the bedroom was and then see if a computer connected to the switch works. 

When you plug into the switch (both the bedroom's port and the computer) do you see two green LEDs on each port of the switch?

• 

7 Messages

4 days ago

Thanks tonydi, yes, both the bedroom port and computer port have green LEDS, but still no internet. 

When I tried with NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, I'm able to connect with internet. Does it mean the cisco switch is malfunctional? Do you know any tests I can do to make sure cisco switch is functional?

dave006

Scholar

• 

1K Messages

4 days ago

Hey @nanadaidaiz what ports are you using on the Cisco switch?

Try port 4 - connecting to Ethernet port on wall

Try port 5 - connecting to Ethernet port on computer

Dave

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

4 days ago

So you swapped in the Netgear using the exact same cables as on the Cisco so the only difference is the switch?

Can you ping the BGW successfully through the switch (ping 192.168.1.254)?

If so, can you ping an Internet IP address (ping 8.8.8.8)?

What is the IP address of the computer when connected to the Cisco?

Have you tried using different ports on the Cisco for connecting to the bedroom port and also for the computer (looking to see if it's a specific port on the switch that's bad)?

@dave006   Sorry, typing while you posted.  Did you find something that shows that the Cisco ports are dedicated for certain functions?  I can't find any documentation other than the "quick start" guide which is of no help.

(edited)

dave006

Scholar

• 

1K Messages

4 days ago

Sorry, typing while you posted.  Did you find something that shows that the Cisco ports are dedicated for certain functions?  I can't find any documentation other than the "quick start" guide which is of no help.

No magic just logic from years of network IT work and the most common issues / mistakes folks make.

Most users start with port 1-2-3. Since we don't know what ports are in-use I just picked the next even odd pair of ports 4-5.

It is really odd since the Netgear switch worked and I would logically have expected the same cables to have been used so the last logical test is different ports on the Cisco 24 port switch.

Dave

• 

7 Messages

4 days ago

I used the exact same cables from netgear.

1) I used port 4 in cisco switch connecting to Ethernet port on wall, and this is orange solid light. I swapped the ports between port 4 and 5, and tried other ports, and same orange solid light.

2) I used port 5 in cisco switch connecting to Ethernet port on computer, and this is solid green light.

I googled and solid orange - port in error disable, spanning-tree negotiation, Trunk to access port mismatch or switch may have a faulty port. Port is shutdown for a 6500.

The port 4 is working fine, and other ports are fine since I saw green light when connecting to computer.

I'm unable to ping 192.168.1.254 from the computer via the cisco switch, but I am able to ping if the computer connects to Ethernet port on the wall.

Not sure what's happening here...

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

18K Messages

4 days ago

Try using the locking the port speed on either or both devices. I've seen auto-negotiation fail and cause this sort of issue 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

4 days ago

Thanks JefferMC. How to do "locking the port speed?" This is cisco SG112-24 24-Port Gigabit Switch, there is no setup or configuration changes I can make

(edited)

dave006

Scholar

• 

1K Messages

3 days ago

Hey @nanadaidaiz you don't make the change on the switch. You would make the change on your computer or the Gateway in your situation.

Since you are seeing the issue at the wall port. You would want to make the change on your AT&T Gateway's port that provides the connection to the wall port in the bedroom.

Connect to your Gateway at http://192.168.1.254

Access Code should be on a label on the unit unless you set a custom password.

Select the Home Network Tab and then Click on the Configure link in the blue bar next to the Status tab. Here is were you can adjust the speeds / negotiation settings for your 4 Ethernet ports on the Gateway.

Dave

• 

7 Messages

3 days ago

thanks @dave006, on the Configure tab in ATT Gateway console, both Ethernet and MDI-X are set to Auto. What changes I should make in my case?

dave006

Scholar

• 

1K Messages

3 days ago

You should try Ethernet to Gigabit and Full Duplex for your first test. Please leave MDI-X set to Auto for now.

Also a follow-up question: when you tested the Netgear did you notice if the speeds were negotiated at 1 Gbps or just that it worked?

The reason I ask is there could be a wiring issue at the wall plate in either location that is causing an odd sync speed like 100 Mbps Half duplex which should work with either switch but the Netgear is less forgiving. 

Just something to think about as we try to eliminate the issue with the Cisco not working correctly.

Dave

Dave

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

3 days ago

@nanadaidaiz  That error message for the orange (amber) LED is for managed switches.  There's no way your switch could have any of the conditions listed in the error you looked up.

For the SG-112-24...

Left Solid Amber; Right OFF; = POE device or device not linked anymore

Since you're not dealing with Power Over Ethernet devices this didn't make sense.  But I found someone who has a smaller version of that switch and a solid amber LED when he just plugs in a cable that isn't even connected to anything.

Unfortunately, there's no feedback on a solution for that person so we can't tell if this is an indication of a bad switch or not.  But from what I can tell Cisco switches have a lifetime warranty so if you strike out with trying to solve the problem then perhaps contacting them for a replacement would be the next step.

• 

7 Messages

3 days ago

thanks all for your help here. The ATT technican setup bgw210-700 in a box in a room (I don't know how to call that). Port 4 in bgw210-700 corresponds to the ethernet port on wall in the bedroom.

I tried several things below:

1) I took out the cable connecting to port 4 in bgw210-700, and connect the cable to the computer, and there is no internet. I guess I have to go through bgw210-700 for internet access.

2) I took out the cable connecting to port 4 in bgw210-700, and connect the cable to the cisco switch SG112-24 (solid orange light), and another cable from SG112-24 connect to the computer ethernet port (solid green light), and there is no internet. 

Simple question, are there any simple tests I can do to ensure this cisco switch is functional? I got this cisco switch from my friend and I asked him again and it was working for him.

Thanks so much!!

Get started...

Ask a new question