Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
A

• 

4 Messages

Monday, March 30th, 2020 1:17 AM

Can't open ports on pace 5268AC router

Hi. I'm trying to set up port forwarding so that I can use remote desktop to access my computer at work through a VPN. It seems that I cannot open the ports, regardless of setting them up in my router. I can see in my firewall status, that I do have port 3389 assigned to my static IP for my desktop. When I check my ports online, it shows the 3389 port is not open and the ports do not show on a netstat /a readout. I turned my AT&T connection off and connected with my Verizon mobile hotspot, and was able to connect without issue. So it seems the problem is most certainly with my router setup/AT&T account.

I found a help article that said to use the port forwarding tool to authorize port forwarding on my account. However, the link didn't work, so I wasn't able to do that.

Please help! I can't get chat help right now.

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

4 years ago

Port 3389 needs to be forwarded on your computer at work, not on your home network. If you were trying to access your HOME computer from work, then you would need to forward 3389 to the computer on your home network that you want to access but from what you say you're trying to access your work computer so forwarding needs to be on the work network.

• 

4 Messages

Hmmmmm ok. Any idea why it’s not working then? Why I can connect with Verizon, but not through AT&T?

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

There could be many reasons. When you connect via Verizon, are you using the same computer that fails on ATT? It could be the firewall on your home computer is blocking 3389.

Do you get any error codes or messages when the connection fails?

• 

4 Messages

Thank you for sticking with me, here. It’s the same computer, same exact Remote Desktop settings - I saved them when they were working with Verizon. Only difference is I switched the source of Internet from Verizon to AT&T.

I can connect to the vpn and can ping the computer I’m trying to connect to using its name on the domain. But Remote Desktop cannot make a connection.

• 

4 Messages

We were able to solve the problem. I am posting here in case it can help someone in the future. The AT&T DNS was over-riding the DNS from the VPN and was resolving the computer name to an external IP address rather than an internal one. We changed the DNS on the AT&T connection to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4) and the problem was solved instantly.

Scholar

• 

465 Messages

Good deal. Thanks for sharing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.