Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
richardkornman's profile

3 Messages

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2024 7:16 PM

Can variable speeds passthrough either the red ONT Port or SFP/SFP+ fiber port

I have the AT&T 2.5 Fiber plan with a modem BG320-500.  Can I connect the BG320 device with my Ubiquiti gateway, UDM-SE device? 

The port choices on the BG320 are: the 1- red  ONT Port,  or 2- 10 GB rated SFP/SFP+ fiber port, or 3- Port# 4 5GB Ethernet port . 

The port choices on my Ubiquiti gateway WAN devices are: 

1- WAN 2.5 GbE RJ45 Ethernet port  to be paired with BG320 Port# 4 5GB Ethernet port . My concern is these 2 ports have different GB ratings  (5 GB vs 2.5 GB).

2. Next choice is the BG#320 10G SFP+ port connected to the gateway Ubiquiti UDM-SE WAN  10G SFP+ port.  My concern is these 2 ports have the same 10 GB rating however the thruput is only 2.5 GB (soon to be 5 GB thruput after I upgrade my ATT plan). Must the actual thruput = the port GB  rating? 

If the answer is yes to either of these scenarios can you suggest what type of cable I would use for each respective topography. 

Thank You, RIchard Kornman

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

26 days ago

Your only output from the gateway is the four ethernet ports.

The red port is used by an external ONT such as Nokia 010 or 020.

The SFP port is input for using the internal ONT built into the gateway.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

26 days ago

To go faster than 1 Gbps, you must use the light blue LAN port on the BGW320, that's the only port you can use on the LAN side of the gateway capable of > 1 Gbps; the three yellow LAN ports are 1 Gbps capable.  You should be able to connect the 5 Gbps port to either the 2.5 Gbps port on the UDM-SE or to the SFP+ port, using the appropriate SFP+ module (though I will warn you that the multi-gig port can be more temperamental than the 1 Gbps ports).

3 Messages

26 days ago

Thank you for your help. I'm just trying to get a handle on the fiber optic considerations and nomenclature.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

25 days ago

Assuming you’ve connected everything correctly, are you able to successfully measure full bandwidth on a device?

3 Messages

25 days ago

I haven't finished connecting this system. I'm still shopping for cables.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.