Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
nywolf's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, April 8th, 2024 12:11 AM

Buffering

Our TVs buffer on a regular basis and video conference calls freeze, are jittery and sometimes get dropped.   We have rebooted all the equipment a number of times and there are no service outages.  Can there be a problem with the fiber running to our house that could be the problem or the modem/router provided by ATT? 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

Which, if any, of the devices listed above are connected via Ethernet cable (vs using the Wi-Fi signal provided by the AT&T Gateway)?

Which AT&T Gateway do you have?

How are away from the Gateway are these devices that are buffering, etc.?

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

No devices are connected via Ethernet

Gateway is the BGW320

TV is about 30' from Gateway and signal at the TV is excellent. Plus I have extenders around the house, so signal is excellent everywhere.  The laptop that is used for video conferences is right next to the Gateway.

ATT installed fiber in our neighborhood about 8 months ago and I switched from Spectrum to try it out the fiber but so far I've not been impressed.  Didn't have this issue when I had Spectrum.  Only thing that is different is the fiber line and the Gateway.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

There are several potential causes for the buffering:

1) Wi-Fi reliability inside the home, including the Wi-Fi capability of the Gateway itself

2) The Gateway's connection through fiber to AT&T

3) AT&T's network

4) Any peering network between AT&T's network and the ultimate server

5) The servers providing the content.

Before you can address the issue, you'd need to know which of the above is causing your issues (it may be more than one).  It could be that your device is losing connection to an extender or Gateway and is switching when you see a pause, or that the Gateway/Extender has decided to change channels. Or that there's another signal-related issue.  It's difficult to determine this unless you can compare a Wi-Fi device to an Ethernet-connected device.  In my home, to remove this as a possibility, all of my streaming devices are Ethernet connected.

That's the part you have control over, and you won't get any help out of AT&T on it, even if the problem is that their gear's Wi-Fi is less than stellar.  AT&T has full control over 2&3 and sometimes in choice of 4.  If you can determine the issue is in options 2-4, then you can try to get them to address it.  However, that's difficult.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

2 months ago

If you’re going to depend solely on wifi, buy a good system you can configure as an access point, preferably expandable via satellites and be done with it.  I’ve yet to see any good wifi solution provided by Att.  

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

Thanks!  I do have an excellent Wifi router and satellites throught the house.  Same system that I had when I was using Spectrum without a problem.  Wound up speaking with ATT Support and they made a change to a setting, so  we'll see if the buffering stops and the video conferences are better.

Employee

• 

190 Messages

2 months ago

Another thing to try is the ethernet connection from gateway to the router. Use anything but port number 1 and see if it helps.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.