Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
I

• 

13 Messages

Fri, Nov 26, 2021 7:14 AM

bgw320-505 Find best 5 GHz channel - does not work

I have had At&t fiber for 5 months now and have been having issues with 5ghz for a while. Have been calling support but no help. Finally, I figured it out. The issue is for some reason my devices do not work if 5ghz channel is anything less than 50.

i.e. at channel 36 my phone says cant get ip  or speed is 8 mbps 

When I restart the gateway it works fine because the channel is set to 56 or 60. After few hours it goes back to 36 or 40. I have tried finding the best channel 'button' from the phone app and the browser, does not move from 36 at all unless I restart the gateway or just restart the 5ghz wifi.

Any idea's ?

bogar90706

Teacher

• 

112 Messages

5 m مضت

I was recently upgraded from BGW210 to the new 320. While the wifi coverage was indeed an improvement, it kind of (Edited per community guidelines) that they took away the manual channel setting on the 5ghz network. I suspect they did that for two reasons:

1. DFS- to avoid headaches with the FCC regarding violation/interfering with weather radars

2. The BGW320 is a tri-band - and they have reserved one of the 5ghz band for the mesh network extenders.

Number 2 seems more likely because the most common setup for the mesh extender are via wifi and not wired to the gateway. With the previous gateway being dual band, using the smart wifi extenders via wifi degraded the overall wifi performance on home network . With the new gateway it makes sense to reserve that 2nd 5ghz band solely mesh back-haul

(edited)

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.