Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
I
I_Am_here
20th Community Anniversary
#1 Star!
The 5th element!

• 

13 Messages

Friday, November 26th, 2021 7:14 AM

bgw320-505 Find best 5 GHz channel - does not work

I have had At&t fiber for 5 months now and have been having issues with 5ghz for a while. Have been calling support but no help. Finally, I figured it out. The issue is for some reason my devices do not work if 5ghz channel is anything less than 50.

i.e. at channel 36 my phone says cant get ip  or speed is 8 mbps 

When I restart the gateway it works fine because the channel is set to 56 or 60. After few hours it goes back to 36 or 40. I have tried finding the best channel 'button' from the phone app and the browser, does not move from 36 at all unless I restart the gateway or just restart the 5ghz wifi.

Any idea's ?

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

1 year ago

@I_Am_here , there's one thing that confuses me about your posts:  You seem to be hitting the "find best channel" button and accepting it's selection.  Couldn't you just put in the channel number you want?

I_Am_here

• 

13 Messages

1 year ago

That's the original question, where can I set it manually? I do not see a option, it's set to only automatically. 

I_Am_here

• 

13 Messages

1 year ago

I remember it used to be a drop down. But not anymore. 
tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

1 year ago

Ahhhh!  I thought you were setting a channel and the gateway was changing it back.

You got sucked into the lousy UI flaw where the Advanced Options LINK looks like an underline for that header.

I_Am_here

• 

13 Messages

1 year ago

I wish it was that simple 😕 

This is advanced option 

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

1 year ago

Wow, it looks like they removed the option!

(edited to add)  Or maybe the 320 never had it?  My captures are from the BGW210.

(edited)

dave006

Scholar

• 

3.6K Messages

1 year ago

How about telling us what smartphone you are using. Since the 5 GHz radio is using "Auto" channel management you are getting interference from some source that is forcing the channel change on the BGW320.

That would explain why when you try "Find Best Channel" it stays below channel 50 due to interference. However when you restart the BGW320 the initialization picks a channel that works with your smartphone but it is not "locked" to that channel but dynamic as the BGW320 is running.

You might want to test splitting your SSIDs and see how your smartphone works on just a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi SSID.

Note: Do you happen to have your smartphone in a case and if yes which one?

Dave

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

1 year ago

@tonydi , what firmware version are you on?

This is my BGW210:

I_Am_here

• 

13 Messages

1 year ago

I have samsung s10 plus tried both with and without cover.

The issue is with all devices in the house on 5 ghz. What I care about the most is my phone and laptop both have same behavior.

Laptop is new enough to get 900+ up and down if connected with cable and 700+ up and down with channel 56. 

I am usually 6 to 8 feet away from the Gateway. 

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

1 year ago

@JefferMC   My 210 is on 2.14.5.  I don't have access to a 320 to take screen caps from. 

Tried to talk a field tech into swapping me one just for that purpose but he couldn't because of new accounts only local policy (which looks to now be pretty much nation-wide).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.