Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
darrellmillerla's profile

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, February 8th, 2022 7:12 PM

Closed

BGW320-505 + 5 Static IP Addresses + pfSense Router/firewall + 2 other servers with static IP's

hi, 

i've been on the phone with ATT tech support for 2 days. i'm a reasonably competent IT person. i'm moving to a new home. the old home has ATT fiber + 5 static IPs and my setup works flawlessly. Tech came out yesterday and installed att home fiber 1000 in new home with a new nokia BGW320-505 modem/router/wireless. 

I cannot figure out how to turn off everything from this modem and just make it simple passthrough so i can hardcode/manaully enter static IPs from ATT into my firewall and 2 servers. i've been on the phone with ATT for close to 7 hours.. and none of their support people really understand what i'm trying to do. 

i just have 2 servers (virtual) + one pfsense firewall that i need static IP's for. 

is this possible with these new nokia devices?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

2 years ago

Ah.  So you have IPv6 turned on.  Are you prepared to deal with IPv6 packets arriving at your servers (or have you turned on filtering to prevent it from coming in)?

Well, we would like to confirm that the IP is configured, and routing and the easiest way to do that is to go out on IPv4.  You could use NSLOOKUP to get the IPv4 of the site and go to it with just the bare IPv4.  (in my case http://104.21.89.158

or  http://172.67.189.152

When I try that I get a Cloudflare error page that says that I can't use the bare IP address.  But in the footer of at the bottom of the cloudflare error page it helpfully gives me my IPv4.

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

i typically just block ipv6 at the firewall, but at this point i'll do anything to get it working. 

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

i turned off ipv6 on the modem and now no routing at all.. nothing comes up. i can get to the local address of the cable modem but thats it. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

2 years ago

Okay, so either (a) AT&T has screwed up, or (b) you have an issue in either the (b1) Gateway, or (b2) all of the devices behind the Gateway you've tested.

From any of the devices behind the Gateway, can you ping the .22 address and get an answer?

On the Gateway, on the Diagnostics > Troubleshoot page, put the .17, .18, whatever addresses and see if you can ping them from the Gateway.

I also have to ask: on each of the two servers, and the router WAN port, you manually configured the public IP and set the Default Gateway to the .22 address and the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.248?

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

i really do appreciate your help. 

- i can ping the gateway from inside and outside the network. i can ping it from modems diagnostic page. 

- i can NOT ping any of the static IPs that should be addressable. my firewall or servers i want to set up. 

-subnet mask is 255.255.255.248

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

2 years ago

Pardon me for being picky, but I do not want to make the assumption that I understand what you said.  Done that too many times.

I can ping the gateway from inside and outside the network. i can ping it from modems diagnostic page. 

By this you mean you can ping the .26 address from inside and outside your network and from the Gateway itself.

I asked previously:

on each of the two servers, and the router WAN port, you manually configured the public IP and set the Default Gateway to the .22 address and the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.248?

And your answer was

subnet mask is 255.255.255.248

Just confirming that you did in fact also manually configure the default gateway address of .22 and the desired .17-21 IP address on the Ethernet interface of each of these devices (or used the Gateway's IP allocation feature).  In short, have you confirmed that each of these devices is showing these three pieces of information locally as correct?

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

i appreciate your attention to detail. 

- Usable IP Range for your account is : 99.XXX.XXX.17 to 99.XXX.XXX.21
- GW: 99.XX.XX.22
- Mask: 255.255.255.248 .. or a /29

- i can ping the gateway from the web/outside the network.. and from the att modem's diagnostic page 

- i have two devices plugged in, with information manually entered. 
99.XX.XX.19
99.XX.XX.20
w/255.255.255.248 - mask
99.XX.XX.22 GW

cant ping them from the modem or from the outside/internet

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

2 years ago

Forgive me if you said it and I missed it: you cannot ping the Gateway from the two configured devices?

You should be able to ping the devices from the Gateway and you should be able to ping the Gateway from the devices.  This should be handled by the firmware in the Gateway and not require that AT&T have done anything properly in their network. 

If you can ping the router IP from the public Internet, that indicates that AT&T has done their part correctly.

1 Message

3 months ago

In case anyone is reading this 2 years later, the author missed the solution. For the Public DHCP hosts, he has local instead of public enabled. This will cause the fiber router to hand out LAN DHCP addresses instead of public addresses, if he is connected directly to the fiber router's ports. Switch this to public (radio button at the bottom) and instead it will hand out public IP's. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 months ago

Few people want to dynamically assign the Publics on request, especially if they're also serving clients that they just want to NAT to the Dynamic Public.  So I do not suggest that configuration, I always recommend static assignment on the hosts for Public Static.  It's not a horrible idea with Address Reservation, but that's a lot of configuration to recreate when your Gateway gets factory reset.  If you like dynamic assignment, cool.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.