Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
mitchyb's profile

10 Messages

Monday, January 22nd, 2024 10:04 PM

BGW320-500 Personal Router Port Forwarding

I am using my own router behind the AT&T router.  I know the setup isn't faulty on my router's end as I can reach the ports I am trying to forward when I am on the AT&T network.  I have configured the AT&T router to IP Passthrough DHCPS-fixed with the mac of my router.  I turned off all the firewall advanced items and disabled packet filtering.  I have disabled home network security option.  The only thing that worked momentarily was adding the port to the nat/gaming section but after a minute or so it goes down.  What am I missing here?  I have been trying to get this set up for a while now without luck.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

4 months ago

No. Factory reset the gateway. Factory reset the router. 

Do this. 

http://www.devonstephens.com/how-to-enable-ip-passthrough-on-att-bgw320-505/

Port forwarding is done in the router. Not the gateway. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

1) You do not want to add your port to the NAT/Gaming page, as that is port forwarding and (in IP Passthrough mode) you want your router to do the Port Forwarding.  If the Gateway also tries to port forward it, the packet will get lost.

2) Ensure that the IP Passthrough to your router has completed successfully; check that your router has the Public IP on its WAN interface (as opposed to one of the Gateway's LAN IPs, usually in the 192.168.1.x range).

10 Messages

4 months ago

Ok, I changed it back and removed the port forwarding on the AT&T router and I am still getting the same results.  Also I am using the Public ip to try to access.  I know that my router is forwarding the port as I can check it on the 192.168.1.x ip.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

If you are using the Public IP from inside your own router, and your router supports NAT loopback, it should work.  If you're using the Public IP from the Gateway network, it will not work reliably, if at all as the Gateway does not support NAT loopback.

Does the local IP work from behind your router?

10 Messages

4 months ago

My router supports NAT loopback and I am accessing it from my network.  As a bonus, I can't reach the port from outside m network as well.  It isn't working at all for some reason.  I have tried factory reset and setting it up again to no avail.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

know that my router is forwarding the port as I can check it on the 192.168.1.x ip.

I'm not sure what you mean here?

10 Messages

4 months ago

Meaning if i get onto the AT&T router's network, I can reach the port forwarded by my personal router.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

I'm not following how that would work.  What IP are you using to refer to your host you're trying to access?

If the public, unless something has changed recently, the Gateways do not route traffic on their local LAN addressed to the public IP to the IP Passthrough device, and

If the private, the Gateway doesn't have a router to the private IP, so I don't know how that would work.

(edited)

10 Messages

4 months ago

Maybe I am going about it the wrong way then.  Let me describe what I am trying to do.  I have a personal router and I would like to use the AT&T router like a traditional modem would be used.  I have a device with a GUI on port 80 lets say, and I would like to forward that port so that I can access it when I hit my public IP address.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

That's what I figured, except I'm thinking what you really want is access from the Public Internet, not just from clients connected to the AT&T Gateway.  I also understand that you would want to use the Gateway as a way to test your access, I just do not think you can use it that way.

I clarified my earlier statement.  Gateways route traffic received on their WAN addressed to the Public IP to the IP Passthrough device, just not traffic that originates on their local LAN addressed to the public.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.