20th Community Anniversary
#1 Star!
The 5th element!

Tutor

• 

23 Messages

Monday, September 5th, 2022 3:38 PM

BGW320-500 DHCP issues

Just got fiber and trying to configure all my devices.

Dunno who designed the DHCP support, but it is taking a lot of time to assign static DHCP addresses to my devices.

Cameras, printer, phones, computers, etc

The way the fiber router does it is just ridiculous (IMOH).   Can't manually type in mac addresses, so what I am having to do is set dhcp address range to the range I want my static dhcp addresses, turn off devices until lease timeout, turn it back on and then do the "stupid" ip allocation to set to what I want in my range 1.1 to 1.50.  After I get all of them done, then will have to set range back to my "public" dhcp range.

What were they thinking?

Gonna try to set up my old Linksys 54tm router to be a dhcp server.  Any quick ideas on how to to do this.  I want the Linksys to obtain dhcp from BGW, sort of how it used to get from WAN; and then assign dhcp addresses and DNS servers to it's dhcp clients.  

Read something about allowing BGW to only dhcp serve up a single address.  Maybe do that.

Love the fiber speed, but this implementation is awful for dhcp.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Thanks

markbnj

• 

77 Messages

5 months ago

OK, you will need to set your old router as the 'passthrough' router..

you will then need to tell it (after it's online) to use that address as it's static ip address to the ISP.

once you do that, you can create a new 192.168.x.y address, and do everything that way

BUT

you will (likely) need to use the old router's wifi (unless you have dedicated APs)

and

you will likely need to disable the AT&T built in SSID's.

= HUGE pain in the neck!!!!

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

5 months ago

@j1mw3b   I'm not sure exactly what you're going on about with entering MAC addresses but doing IP allocation seems pretty simple to me.

Go to http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/ipalloc.ha (you'll need to enter the Access Code from the label on your AT&T gateway) and you should see a list of all of the devices that have connected to the gateway.  Click the Allocate button on the device you want and choose the IP you want.  Click Save.  Repeat for other devices.

j1mw3b

Tutor

• 

23 Messages

5 months ago

Markj;  nah.  My old router was a slow Linksys WRT54G-TM and my access points all 100m.  

The BGW replaces them nicely and good coverage.

tonydi:  I guess I'm not lucky.  It seems to be a crap shoot whether the router allocates DHCP for a device coming online or not.  They do show up in the device list, but not always in the "IP allocation" list.  Have set my lease to 2 hours and turning off devices.  

Guess I miss my Tomato router way of doing dhcp.  

arp and nmap are my good friends during this fun.

j1mw3b

Tutor

• 

23 Messages

5 months ago

Oh yeah... Wouldn't it be nice if I could fill in all my dhcp addresses based on my old routers list and then when I decide to move a laptop from wireless to wired, it would be set already instead of having to go thur this "ip allocation" garbate.

Command line ssh inteface sorely missed - but guess this router is meant for a simple home user who doesn't care what addresses they use.

dave006

Scholar

• 

3.6K Messages

5 months ago

@j1mw3b 

Oh yeah... Wouldn't it be nice if I could fill in all my dhcp addresses based on my old routers list and then when I decide to move a laptop from wireless to wired, it would be set already instead of having to go thur this "ip allocation" garbage

You sure could have used your old routers list and just entered the static IP within each device. Just open up the lease range on the DHCP settings. Do you don't have to set up only from the DHCP side in the Gateway.

Not sure why you would need to care when you move a laptop from wireless to wired. Where do these portable devices normally spend the most time. Just set that adapter to your list IP address scheme you want.

Dave

j1mw3b

Tutor

• 

23 Messages

5 months ago

I understand your point of view on static for all devices.  That would be an option, but I just kind of like to know when my visitors have a device and who they are and what is their ip, so I add them to my dhcp static lease as needed.  Just a bit paranoid I guess.

Ran into a bit of stumbling block with BLG320.  There is a limit ofabout 16 in their IP Allocation list.   Ugh?

Thought to try to use a separate (OLD) router to only do the dhcp, turning off att dhcp.  Nope, it also passes itself as gateway.

So, for now, leaving as is and enjoying the speed.

Thanks for all help and suggestions.  Glad to see we have an active community here and.

Nope, the dhcp 

j1mw3b

Tutor

• 

23 Messages

5 months ago

OK, to close this out, I have my Netgear WND4500v3 running OpenWrt as my dhcp server on this ATT fiber network.  Disabled the BWG320 dhcp server, told OpenWrt to serve up the ATT box as gateway and 8.8.8.8, etc as DNS.

Seems to be working now.

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

I miss the time having my Asus router with Harris modem. This AT&T 320-500 reboot several times a day randomly. It is not a model of stability. Needs some firmware update.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.