Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
S

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Sep 23, 2020 6:14 PM

BGW320-500 Constantly Goes Out and Gets Stuck Flashing Red

I switched to AT&T from another provider about a month ago and had Fiber installed with the BGW32-500 and have had constant issues. 

The gateway randomly goes out and seemingly gets stuck in the restarting cycle, it flashes white slowly, then faster, then repeats, eventually flashing red.  I typically have to unplug it for about 30 seconds, plug it back in, and it will work.  This has happened multiple times a day every day since install.  I've been round and round with the chat feature, called countless times, had 3 techs come out, supposedly two engineering tickets to replace the splitter (not sure this was ever handled), they have replaced the SFP twice, the entire gateway once, and even the cable coming from the box to my outlet.  

The only thing I've been told consistently is the "light is too dim" causing the gateway to restart.  But unplugging the power shouldn't fix the brightness of the light signal coming into the unit.  I don't know if there is an issue with the settings on my device or what. 

I'm trying to reach out here for help as a last effort as I am so tired of fighting to get this resolved before I just cancel my service and go back to my old provider.  

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.7K Messages

1 y ago

"The final Red Flashing Service light indicates there is a network service issue which may require AT&T intervention. This may be a momentary problem; please see if there is a service outage in your area using Smart Home Manager or myAT&T on a mobile device. Try rebooting your Wi-Fi Gateway."

In your case, Yes unplugging your Gateway and plugging it back in would restart the ONT connection since your Gateway is the ONT.

Do you have underground utilities or aerial service?

A continuing "low light" level after all the changes you indicated would point to an issue outside of your residence. You did not mention where the Tech's / Engineer indicated the "low light" level was being measured. 

This is primarily a peer-to-peer customer forum and not the best place to have your continuing issue addressed.

Dave

• 

3 Messages

1 y ago

Thanks!  I wasn't sure if this was monitored or not by AT&T since this is where they seem to point me when I have issues.  I check for outages everytime on the app and it says everything is good! Then recommends restarting my Gateway.  

We have aerial service lines here (unfortunately) and the techs have said that the light is good on the line but is low when it gets to my Gateway.  With everything that has been replaced, my best guess was it is either the splitter I am connected to needs to be replaced (supposed to have been addressed in the 2 engineering service tickets) or maybe a setting issue with the new BGW320 Gateway since they are new.

Thanks for trying to help! You're already better than the AT&T folks I've talked with. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.6K Messages

1 y ago

Fiber has to be spliced at each junction.  If the splice isn't done just right and/or the ends are allowed to get contaminated before/during the splicing, it will significantly reduce the light transmitted.  See here and there for some interesting additional info.

As the ONT tries to communicate over the circuit and has errors, it may encounter so many exceptions that it gives up or just gets stuck and requires a reboot to restart.  At that point it begins again with a clean slate... until the marginal signal again ruins its day.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

18.5K Messages

1 y ago

IS the 320 being used as the ONT or is there a separate ONT with the 320 being used only as a gateway? What connection is be used on the back of the gateway for service?

IF the new 320 is being used as ONT , may want to request an 010 (GPON) ONT or 020 (XPON) ONT be installed along with a 210-700 gateway. The type of ONT will depend on which fiber splitter you are connected to at the PFP.

When the 210 was released in latter half of 2017  took about 6 months before had stable services due to software issues. At that time, many 210 were replaced with 5268s within the first 30 days due to constant issues.... the 320 may be experiencing the same growing pains.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

1 y ago

So I just had a tech and a manager stop by and they said the "low light" errors we because the original line into the house was bad which was replaced and truly our issues have been less frequent but this means it was down from 10-12 times a day to 3-4. 

The other issue is with the 320 being so new updates are constantly being pushed through and since we changed the network name and password (on the suggestion of our install tech), these updates are failing.  It was recommended that we restore factory settings until a patch is sent through allowing us to change the name and password.

Here's hoping that fixes things!  Thanks everyone for your help!

julerobb1

• 

101 Messages

1 y ago

I've had this issue repeatedly with mine, with all my gateways. been through four bgw-210's and one bgw 320, and im on my second 320. Light levels sometimes are too high or too low . one of our techs believed it to be one of the ports that serves me and 38 other customers. He changed the port that it was on, at the att cabinet thingy, and that improved it by alot, but we started having issues again, another one came and cleaned it, another one came and fixed the fiber inside our home that was bent all out of shape at a crazy angle, and gave us the 320.

(not the restart freezing issue though)

As others have stated, its most likely an issue outside your home, or with the fiber going to the gateway

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

FWIW we had the restart freezing issue on our 320 this morning. After some kind of restart not initiated by us, the white did the slow flashing then red flashing for a while then  came back up but without broadband so rebooted from the modem web interface but after 20 mins it was still just flashing red so power cycled it and it all came back within a couple minutes.

Only had this once so far. Hope for no more.

Also next time will go straight for the hard power cycle just in case the web interface version is an issue, don't have time to debug that with trial and error. 

julerobb1

• 

101 Messages

1 y ago

It's another bug with it. Could be an issue with the line. But I had this issue for awhile before the issue improved and speed improved. Issues self resolved on their own so far. Haven't had a tech out since I think early December.. which so far is progress. They fixed something..or something fixed itself..

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.