Shop holiday gifts while you still can - Everyone gets our best deals on any smartphone!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
S

• 

67 Messages

Friday, February 12th, 2021 10:12 PM

BGW320-500 Bridge Mode and/or IP Passthrough Question

Hello everyone,

I have 1Gbps home fiber from AT&T.  I've had it for 2 years, works great.

Yesterday, a tech visited to upgrade my equipment to a brand new BGW320-500.  I also ordered a static IP address.

What I want to do is have this device be as "dumb" as possible.  I have a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro, and I want to configure this device with the static IP address I have, and, have it handle all routing/security/etc.  i.e. I want the AT&T device to do nothing (no wifi, no firewalls, nothing), and, I also do not want the AT&T device to give out its own IP addresses (I want my Ubiquiti Dream Machine pro) to handle everything (as if it was directly connected to the internet itself).

I've been told what I want/need is to configure the AT&T device to be in "Bridge Mode".  However, I cannot find this setting in the config menus.  I do find "IP Passthrough" which people have told me is essentially the same thing. Is that accurate?  Is "IP Passthrough" what I want?

If IP Passthrough is what I want, then how do I configure the AT&T device, with a static IP address?  Or no IP address?  

Any help & guidance would be appreciated.  I've searched the forums and cannot make clear sense on what I've found there.

Thank you,

Mark

• 

67 Messages

3 years ago

Hi @JefferMC as well as anyone else reading this thread:

-I had to restore my gateway to its factory settings.  This worked, but it also removed all Static IP info.

-I then called AT&T tech support, described what I wanted which was:  have a static IP address (AT&T gave me 5x actually, which is great), and, make the gateway as dumb as possible, so that my own router (Unifi dream machine pro) handled all security, etc.

-This tech was awesome.  He specifically told me that "for this particular gateway, you want IP passthrough and not cascaded router".  So, I went with him on this (just to see what progress we would make):

-He first re-programmed in my static IP info that I wipped by factory resetting my gateway  

-He then (along with me, via the web interface of my gateway) disabled my AT&T radios (for the wifi), disabled all the firewall settings, except for IP passthrough.  This was set to DHCPS-fixed, and the passthrough fixed mac address was chosen from a list of connected devices (there is only one), and that was that.

-On my own router (my own device, connected to the AT&T gateway via ethernet cable) I configured it for static IP address mode, and I assigned it the first of my 5x IP addressed that AT&T assigned me.  I entered in the gateway address ("router") as well as subnet mask, etc. (all of which AT&T provided me when I bought static IP address service add-on).

=and now, everything works.  My AT&T device is as dumb as possible (stripped of all processing, except for IP passthrough), and, my own router has a static IP address, and everything works.

-I asked:  since I have 4x additional static IP addresses, can they be assigned to equipment behind my router, or, can they only be assigned to equipment connected directly to the AT&T gateway.  He claimed that i can assign my static ip addresses to devices behind my own router.  I have yet to try this, but that would be great.

I hope this is useful, and @JefferMC I'm very grateful for your time in answering my questions thus-far.  I'd love to get your feedback on the above, if you have the time and patience.  Thank you again.

Cheers,

Mark

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

33.5K Messages

3 years ago

I'm not sure I follow how you have it configured.  Screenshots would help, but only if they contained the actual IP addresses, which you should not post in a public place.  So... I guess my curiosity will remain unfulfilled.

EDIT: I suppose you could blur out the first 2 octets of your IP addresses if you're willing.

(edited)

• 

67 Messages

3 years ago

definitely, let me screenshot them for you, stand by

• 

67 Messages

3 years ago

Let me know if you need any other pages/info

• 

67 Messages

3 years ago

Here is another one

• 

67 Messages

3 years ago

Another:

• 

67 Messages

3 years ago

another:

• 

67 Messages

3 years ago

final

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Im also trying to do the same thing. I currently have mine in IP passthrough to my ubiquiti edgerouter. Everything works fine as long as the edge router is set to DHCP on the wan. But when I enter one of the 5 static IPs I drop connection to the internet. I can plug my MacBook directly into the BGW320, enter one of the static IPs manually for configure IPv4 under network settings and that works fine.  Also, under the BGW320 settings it shows the IP Passthrough address as the dynamic public IP with no way to change it from what I see. Am I missing something?

• 

67 Messages

3 years ago

Hi @barncii , I'm also not clear on this at all.  The 5x pubic static IP addresses I have are not being used by my ubiquity device (Dream Machine Pro).  The static IP assigned to the AT&T gateway is what is shared by the dream machine pro (which itself is in static IP config).  However this static is not one of the 5x public static IP addresses I got.  Apparently, though I have not received an explanation that I can comprehend, I need to set up NAT rules that say 'any traffic coming in from public static IP address 1 route to LAN address XYZ', but I haven't set this up successfully yet

Not finding what you're looking for?