Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
samsonbb's profile

9 Messages

Wednesday, November 15th, 2023 7:03 PM

BGW320 - Port Forwarding with IP Passthrough to WAN of ASUS

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any help!

We have an ASUS RT-AX82U that handles all routing. It requires DDNS for the purpose of port forwarding access to the DVR/Security cameras. 

We recently received the otherworldly BGW320 and had AT&T enable IP passthrough to the ASUS. However the connection was to the LAN port of the ASUS at the time, not WAN. Moving it to the WAN port does not activate the WAN port/internet status. This lack of wan activation disables the DDNS feature. 

I tried setting up the port forwarding via NAT/Gaming on BGW but there is no option to specify an external port (just internal range). Specifying internal ports only, did not work and I'd prefer not to make any changes to the DVR system itself.

If we reach out to AT&T to reset the IP Passthrough while it's plugged into the ASUS Wan port, is that going to work? I just don't understand how they are designating the passthrough device since it's behind the scenes (they do not use the actual IP Passthrough page as this never worked). It appears they simple choose it based on BGW LAN port it's plugged into/MAC address.

From what I understand, IP Passthrough should simply forward the Public address to the ASUS node (activating WAN on ASUS?)

If WAN activation is not possible, is there another way to specify port forwarding ports?

The DVR has three services: Server (8000->8000), Media (1080->554), HTTP (8008->80) ... all going to DVR node (one IP address).

I'm really hoping the resident forum guru can assist - I have read countless threads of yours @JefferMC 

Appreciate any assistance you or anyone can provide!!

samson

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

4 months ago

port forwarding via NAT/Gaming on BGW but there is no option to specify an external port (just internal range).

That's odd, can you post a screenshot?

they do not use the actual IP Passthrough page as this never worked).

I don't see why not.  Can you post a screenshot of any problem here?

I might suggest doing a Factory Reset and starting over with IP Passthrough.  And yes, you need to connect the WAN port of your router to a LAN port of the Gateway for it to work properly.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

4 months ago

Don’t use Att to set up ip passthrough. 

http://www.devonstephens.com/how-to-enable-ip-passthrough-on-att-bgw320-505/

Not mentioned is turn off packet filter as well. After setting up ip passthrough, restart the asus router and confirm it has the same broadband ip as the gateway. 

9 Messages

4 months ago

thank you both! firstly apologies, i injured my finger yesterday so forgive any typos / abbreviations. typing is not easy atm.

*I did make sure to turn off Packet filtering... actually all ATT firewall services.

In regards to port forwarding, it isn't displaying incorrectly... maybe i'm just misunderstanding. I don't have access currently but attached a SS from web of the custom services NAT page. The base port and range are only options (how wd I specify external port?):

a lil background: I had ATT installed at my office (a few months ago - diff install); our system is complicated w numerous services routed thru a UTM. I was able to get a VERY knowledgeable person on the phone, after 30 mins of a level 1 tech telling me IP passthrough and cascading router wasn't possible. the knowledgeable lvl 2 tech turned on IP PT in the backend + cascading router. no issues in my office.

I don't know the diff between std IP PT page within FW and what they do in backend. However the lvl2 tech helping with my office told me, "oh no, we need to do this"..... that's why for the new install (brother's bar), I had them do it in backend.   the recent support received for bro's bar has been abysmal India call centers w 0 knowledge.

I will try resetting ATT router and attempt normal IP PT. thx again!

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

4 months ago

If you are using ip passthrough, I would think port forwarding would be done in the asus router settings. I have no experiencing port forwarding so I could be wrong 

(edited)

9 Messages

4 months ago

of course, yes... i would like ip pt to work so asus does everything.

since asus was not working, i attempted to simply port forward on AT&T router but the issue of no external port selection stopped it.

so unless there is a way to port forward on att box, i will be resetting BGW and reattmpting ip pt to asus later.

9 Messages

4 months ago

i came upon this topic when looking into port forwarding issue:

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-fiber-equipment/port-forward-to-specific-internal-port-with-bgw320/62447c9fa7e2d409585c7c24

he is saying the same thing... no external port field... when he says this: "when I can't choose the internal port", i'm certain he means external.

i'm really surprised this isn't a bigger, known issue. that's why i think there has to be a work around.

i.e. port 80 cant be used for forwarding.... 8008 is used externally to forward to this device / port 80. but there is no external port fields.

baffling.

9 Messages

4 months ago

@JefferMC any ideas regarding port forwarding?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

4 months ago

The Global Port Range is the external port.  You can map multiple adjacent ports in one rule.

The Base Host Port is the internal port that matches the first external port from above.  The other Host Ports are numbered sequentially from the Base Host Port.

However, just to make this exceptionally clear: If you have a router behind your Gateway, you should put the Gateway in IP Passthrough mode to that router and then you will not do ANY port forwarding in the Gateway at all.

9 Messages

4 months ago

interesting... i swear i tried putting the external ports in global port range fields since I assumed that was the case. however it didn't work.

I have some troubleshooting to do! thank you very much for the input.

9 Messages

3 months ago

Unfortunately, we were only able to get IP Passthrough working by setting the ASUS router WAN to "fixed" IP.

The ATT box isn't pushing the IP/Gateway addresses to the ASUS. So in this case, we would need to purchase static IPs to get this to work which adds costs and makes this whole endeavor, to save money, somewhat pointless.

What can we do to try to get the ATT box to provide its Broadband addresses to the ASUS WAN addresses dynamically?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.