For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
zsjordan's profile

Contributor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, August 24th, 2019 3:53 PM

BGW210-700 won't mesh 2.4mhz and 5mhz devices

First question, is why does AT&T not have a technical support number listed anywhere on their website or within the account?  Comcast had that ability, even though their tech support was generally pretty bad.  Just saying.

Real question.  I just switched to AT&T Fiber from Comcast and AT&T provided me a BGW210-700 modem/router.  It has the capability to run devices at either 2.4 or 5mhz.  I have a Sonos system and an HP printer that all run at 2.4mhz, then I have laptops and gaming systems that run at 5mhz.  The credentials for both the 2.4mhz and 5mhz bands are the exact same, but when running this way, my computers and cell phones (5mhz) can't see 2.5mhz devices (printer and Sonos).  When I went into the system and disabled the 5mhz option, all devices were forced to 2.4mhz and everything has been working perfectly as normal.

I'm sure folks will agree, I shouldn't have to do that for functionality to be achieved.  The modem/router describes itself as being able to internally manage those devices' interconnectivity, but in my case, it's not.  I know I could run all on 2.4mhz and not see a huge affect on speed, but I wanted to solve this if it was possible.  I've searched online for this and every time I find a forum post that's similar to mine, it's unanswered.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

@tonydi

Thank you for your quick response.  I agree with what you are saying about the router being a house w/ doors.  Thanks for the analogy.  Unfortunately, it seems my printer has been sent to an extended time-out in his room at the back of the closet under the stairs in my router's house!  Haha.  ;-)

What I meant was that things worked when the old setup had 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz SSIDs using different names (5G ended in "_5G").  When combined to the same SSID name on new router, it stopped working.  Maybe just a coincidence.  

Infinitely frustrating but I sure appreciate the help and glad I'm not crazy that others have this issue too.

Thanks!

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

@tonydi

Regarding the 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz vs LAN being different doors to the house...  This assumes AP Isolation is disabled, correct?  I believe maybe my issue is my router (the new one that broke everything) doesn't have this setting correct.  I think it's set to keep them separated.  

I found this post to the issue.  I'm going to try the "fix" by enabling Guest WiFi, making the update to the setting, then re-disabling the Guest WiFi (I don't use it).  Fingers crossed.  This logically would make sense as to why I couldn't ping the printer from 5G even though it was on the 2.4G network, etc.  

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-fiber-equipment/ap-isolation-or-client-isolation-on-an-arris-nvg589/5defcb07bad5f2f6067841a1

Do you agree?

Again, thank you!

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

ok my problems are just a little different , im running 1000mgs fiber opitics all at&t products with an at&t wifi extender . my question is just got a new front door camera it only runs on 2.4 , so with all the laptops smart tv's we have in the house i get great service im like at 997mb so im not complaining plus ps4 livestreaming . the question i have is i changed my ssid to guest so it runs on 2.4 , well everything else runs on 5 ,runs great but the camera says when i switch it over to guest  it says no internet connection.  i have other cameras set up on 5m they run fine { all wireless} .

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.