Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
thebigguman's profile

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

Wed, Dec 1, 2021 1:37 AM

BGW210-700 switch side not running at 1Gbps

I have recently updated my service from 300Mbps to 1Gbps using the same hardware setup, ONT tied with CAT7 to a BGW210-700.  The BGW210-700 is being used as only a gateway and I have a Ubiquiti EdgRouter connected to it, with the BGW210-700 setup as IP Passthrough only.  All NAT, Firewall and Wireless are disabled.  The speeds mentioned in the discussion below are all on a wired network using CAT6 or higher. 

I verified 1Gbps on my LAN side from peer to peer with no issues.  I connected a computer that is already proven to meet 1Gbps capability directly to one output port of the BGW210-700 and I am seeing a max of about 380Mbps.  When I run ATT speed check to the BGW210-700 broadband side, it reports back at 970Mbps both directions.  The speed block seems to be coming from the gateway handing off data to its switch output ports.   I did verify this behavior on each port of the BGW210-700.

I have seen others reporting this same setup on the BGW210-700 and achieving advertised speeds near 1Gbps.  I have searched for some direction, but it seems everything already posted I have verified as implemented on my unit.  Any perspective or direction would be most appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

1 m ago

Replaced the gateway directly and programmed it to the same config and I am not getting more than 900Mbps symmetric.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.7K Messages

2 m ago

No the speed drop off is your connection to your Ubiquiti EdgRouter and double NAT.

Tell us exactly how you configured IP Passthrough (there are 3 methods to chose from) and confirm that you used a different network for your LAN vs the LAN on the BGW210-700.

For example leave the BGW210 at 192.168.1.x network and put your Ubiquiti EdgRouter's LAN at 192.168.2.x for it's LAN network.

If you plug one of your 1 Gbps capable computers directly into one of the 4 LAN ports on the back of your BGW210-700. Then run a speedtest.net to default selected test server and you should see at least 800+ Mbps.

Many devices will show above 900 Mbps as my iMac does via Ethernet for a speedtest.net test or even a Fast.com test.

Dave

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

2 m ago

No double NAT. 

BGW210-700 is configured as 192.168.1.xxx domain.   Ubiquti LAN is 192.168.10.xxx

Firewall tab in BGW210, Packet filter off, IP Passthrough On, NAT Off, Firewall Off.  IP Passthrough is set with DHCPS-fixed mode and setup to the MAC of my Ubiquiti router.  Lease time is set to 99 days.  Home Network has cascaded router disabled. IP passthrough is showing and is matching the broadband IP my Ubiquiti says it is tied to.   All 4 switch ports show 1G Full Duplex setting with MDI-X set to Auto.  WiFi is disabled as I use a Ubiquiti WAP internally on my LAN.   BGW210-700 does have DHCP enabled and is showing 192.168.1.xxx domain.  Perhaps this needs to be disabled?  

And, maybe I was not clear about this in my post.  I have multiple work laptops that are designed for 5Gbps Enet.  I used these on custom designed 5G backplane hardware.  These ports are used at my work internally on the LAN there and achieve 1Gbps.  I have already taken out the connection to the Ubiquiti router, leaving the switch outputs of the BGW201-700 empty, plugged up one of these laptops and got 380Mbps symmetric.   My main workstation at home is also 1Gbps capable and measures the same.

ATT broadband test to the front end of my BGW210 shows about 970Mbps symmetric. 

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.7K Messages

2 m ago

OK we narrowed it down further.  Now you need test results from your workstation directly connected to a LAN port on the BGW210-700.

From your computer connected via Ethernet to your BGW210 open a web browser and use the following link. It is a web Ui to run the same speed test that the BGW210 runs when you test it with diagnostics. This web UI allows you to further test to devices behind the BGW210.

https://myhomenetwork.att.com/

You will need your AT&T ID and password to use this link. It runs in a Web browser and will test not on the speed from within the AT&T network to the Gateway but also can test the device that is running this web link.

A couple of other helpful pieces of information. Do you have a VPN enable on any of these workstations? Also do you have an third-party software Firewalls installed and what OS is available on the device where you are performing the test?

What web browser are you using to the test with the link above?

I would recommend Chrome or Firefox as both Apple Safari and Microsoft Edge web browsers have issues with this test.

Finally what Ethernet controllers are you using on your 5 Gbps Ethernet laptops and what settings are you using?

Examples: Auto or 1 Gbps Full Duplex as that's all your BGW210 is capable of at a max. There is no support for 2.5 or 5 Gbps.

Dave

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

2 m ago

Greetings, I am not getting a valid DNS lookup on https://myhomenetwork.att.com/

Here is what I receive:

Service Unavailable - DNS failure

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Reference #11.26891ab8.1638451901.2c57f334

My router is pointing to OpenDNS.  I searched this and found the site listed on Google as a valid location.  I changed my DNS to Google and I get the same response.  Perhaps there is a disconnect on that service now.  I seem to recall something similar through my ATT account login... but I thought it was only to the Gateway.  I will check on that service later in the day today.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.6K Messages

2 m ago

This indicates some issue between AT&T's CDN and AT&T's DNS, probably for the authentication servers.  Wait 15 minutes and try again.

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

2 m ago

Completed this test as follows.  Direct connection to sw0 port on back of BGW210-700 to my workstation and also made a separate test with my work laptop.  I received the same results, almost exactly the same.

ToGateway Download 1000Mbps  - Upload 938Mbps

ToDevice Download 340Mbps - Upload 357Mbps

My home workstation uses Intel Pro/1000 for enet PHY.  I have verified this reaches 1Gbps speeds both within my LAN and also in my lab at work.

My work laptop has a 5Gbps interface that I cannot discuss due to NDA restrictions, but does use a Marvell product as its PHY.   It also has been verified in the lab at work.

On both systems I insured no firewall or other monitoring products were active.  No VPN was enabled during these tests.  On my work laptop I used both Win10 and Linux.  On my older home workstation I used Win7.

I also verified a 2nd port on the switch with my work laptop.  All results are the same as my numbers above.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.7K Messages

2 m ago

I received the same results, almost exactly the same.

ToGateway Download 1000Mbps  - Upload 938Mbps

ToDevice Download 340Mbps - Upload 357Mbps

What web browser are your using for this test? Chrome, Firefox, Edge, other?

Have you tried the Win 10 native app from the app store as a reference? (yes it uses a different server and path but we are looking for a specific pattern).

My home workstation uses Intel Pro/1000 for enet PHY.  I have verified this reaches 1Gbps speeds both within my LAN and also in my lab at work.

What are the Ethernet settings on your Intel Pro/1000 and what tool are you using to confirm that you reach 1 Gbps speeds on your home LAN.

And what tool did you use to confirm (FTP of LAN file transfer are not the same as a speedtest download from an Internet hosted server)

Do you also have the Windows 10 Ethernet management tools to manage Ethernet or are you using the Intel/Pro software tools?

My work laptop has a 5Gbps interface that I cannot discuss due to NDA restrictions, but does use a Marvell product as its PHY.

In this case are you using default Ethernet settings or have you tried 1 Gbps and Full duplex vs any other settings.

Specifically 5 Gbps Ethernet controllers don't always play well with 1 Gbps switch connections. Most 2.5 / 10 Gbps connections are very compatible with 1 Gbps "Auto" setting on consumer switch as they have been around then 5 Gbps.

Also do you have any software on your PC or Work laptop(s) that perform software based packet inspection for security (Miicrosoft Defender, Norton, or other third party security tool) for the in-coming and also outgoing packets since your test results are 340/357 which is less than 1/3 the expected speeds results for high end Ethernet devices connected directly to the BGW210-700 switch ports but well in range for Wi-Fi.

It is almost as if your devices have Wi-Fi enabled and their adapters have a higher priority vs your Ethernet connection.

Dave

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

2 m ago

At work now, and not too much time to respond comprehensively.   I used the latest version of Firefox on all platforms.  I disabled any packet inspection on the computers themselves, bypassing virus software, etc...    

I have never had a problem with this 5Gbps in my work laptop playing nice anywhere else and I have Ubiquiti hardware in the lab, same generation, as I have at home.  Our lab is setup to verify to IEEE standards and I am pretty certain the laptop NIC is not a problem.  

My home machine is set to forced 1Gbps Full Duplex.  I had it on Auto but moved it to force while I was doing this testing to see if it mattered.  

We have some proprietary code to test LAN speeds, which I used at home.  Since we use this to validate to IEEE standards, I trust it works well, as we design up to 25Gbps PHY's on our products regularly.

Also, WiFi on the Gateway is disabled, my workstation has no WiFi hardware and my work laptop also has it turned off by default.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.7K Messages

2 m ago

Since you are convinced it is an issue with the BGW210 get a replacement unit. A couple of ways.

You can use the Smart Home Manager App to run a test while your BGW210 is powered off it will result in you being able to request a replacement unit. Or you can call 1-800-288-2020 and let a CSR walk through their script and then get a replacement BGW210-700 shipped.

99.9% that this is not the problem the switch portion of the Gateway tends to fail only on 1 port at most but since you are certain the issue is not on your side of the connect. This is the next step.

Give it a try and let us know. It should take 2 days for a replacement to arrive if you do this today. Should be here by Friday or Saturday. Good luck.

Dave

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

2 m ago

I discussed this with local service ATT guy already in the neighborhood and he indicated they were only sending out a newer model gateway with ONT within.  Which means a cost for installation.   I did not call CSR, so this may not be correct.   I will continue to poke at this as I have time, because I am not convinced there is a physical or firmware issue with the gateway, but must have some situation causing this.  

We are also getting an update to our Keysight network testing module which will allow me to host ATT's speed testing directly to the Keysight unit.  This unit has a broad range of capability, so it should be able to handle any setup the gateway has to offer.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.7K Messages

2 m ago

There must have been some miscommunication between you and the local service AT&T guy.

You guys ended up with mixing 2 different things. First you can get a replacement BGW210-700 shipped to you for a self-install. The tech also still have them on the truck for repair replacements.

Now the confusing part. If you want a new BGW320-500 (Humax)  or BGW32-505 (Nokia) gateway instead of a replacement BGW210-700 from a tech or via self-install then and only then is a tech install required (AT&T policy not a physical limitation). You may be charged up to $149 if you demanded a dispatch on demand (DoD) vs working with a phone CSR to end up with a tech dispatch as the proper repair option.

AT&T want's all BGW320's to be installed with the activation of the internal ONT. For this to happen this requires Fiber to run all the way to the back of the BGW320 and connect to a SFP+ Optical transceiver and the tech will provision the BGW320's internal ONT (Soc). 

Note: BGW320s are still in short supply do to the chip shortage and slow supply chain delivery process. That's why they are reserved for "new" customer installs.

This sets you up as a customer to take advantage of newer speed offering of 2 and 5 Gbps that are currently available in a couple of test markets.  There are currently 3 flavors of the SPF modules: Orignal, Alternate frequency, and XGS-PON modules.

The plan is for the next upgrade to just be a self-install of a new gateway with a new SPF. This eliminates a truck roll for these types of updates.

Note: the reason for charging you for the tech install is that you already have 1 Gbps service and that's currently all you can purchase and it is a customer request for a new BGW320 install and not required. It takes the tech some time depending where your existing Fiber terminates, how far the tech has to run a new Fiber Jumper and the installation of a new AT&T Fiber wall plate that is all that is left behind if or when you move. 

In the past you were required to leave the stand-alone ONT since it was AT&T owned equipment but often they were removed, the cables removed or just cut. And is some odd cases the previous customer just removed the power supply and took it with them.

Dave 

Tutor

• 

19 Messages

2 m ago

I would have my gateway mount right where my ONT is now...  there is already Tier1 power located there and in a controlled environment.  I already have Cat7 from there to my existing gateway location I can just hop to the router directly...  So, they would have little to do.   I will consider this all once I get the new bench equipment in to verify what I have now.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.1K Messages

2 m ago

As Dave said, call customer service. Ask for a replacement gateway. You will get the same model gateway in 2-3 days. Usually via fedex. 

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

I am having the same issue and my setup is BGW210 and UDM pro. 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.