Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Feb 10, 2020 6:44 AM

BGW210-700 Router broadcasting second hidden 5GHz network on top of configured 5GHz wifi network

Greetings,

To start, I have band steering turned off as 2.4GHz and 5GHz have their own names and passwords. The Guest network is off, and WPS is off. The 5GHz network is set at channel 36 with a channel width of 40MHz. The 2.4GHz network is auto channel with a width of 20MHz.

However, the router broadcasts a second 5GHz network with hidden SSID at the same channel and channel width as my configured network. I've confirmed this with a wifi scan utility from my smartphone. Why? And how can I turn it off?

Responses

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

a month ago

I have the same issue. Mine is configured with the guest network enabled (2.4Ghz) an 80Mhz 5Ghz network on channel 104 (802.11a/n/ac). I see two networks on that channel except that one is hidden. As far as I know I never set up a hidden network. Does anyone know why this is?

FWIW my internet speed tests OK, but I get a lot of stalling when loading web pages. I am not seeing any channel conflicts, but I do get a lot of Transmit Discard Packet errors on the 5Ghz radio. I'm not sure if this is related.

(edited)

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

Do both of you have wireless Stb’s?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

I don't have TV service. Just interent. So no STBs.

Transponder

ACE - Scholar

• 

378 Messages

What the name of the hidden SSID?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

In my case I don't know. It just shows up as <Hidden Network> on my Wifi Scanner on the same channel as my normal 5Ghz network. Since I didn't set it up, I don't know what name it is.

Transponder

ACE - Scholar

• 

378 Messages

This hidden SSID could be for use if you had a wireless STB for TV. It's probably in the firmware of the gateway and for people who order the wireless STB, they will need to connect to it for service. In your case, it's just not used.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Yes, I also have webpage stalling on 5Ghz band at times. No I do not have TV/STB, however it seems like this is what is going on. There is no option in the router to disable this which would be nice because the interference can cause problems. But I get that AT&T nerfs the router to prevent people from screwing up their TV service (same reason they don't let you change DNS servers on the router). I am probably going to buy another router, put it in AP mode, and just use it for Wifi, then turn off the Wifi on the BGW210.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…