Announcements
Ace Back to School with AT&T's A+ deals!
D

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Feb 10, 2020 6:44 AM

BGW210-700 Router broadcasting second hidden 5GHz network on top of configured 5GHz wifi network

Greetings,

To start, I have band steering turned off as 2.4GHz and 5GHz have their own names and passwords. The Guest network is off, and WPS is off. The 5GHz network is set at channel 36 with a channel width of 40MHz. The 2.4GHz network is auto channel with a width of 20MHz.

However, the router broadcasts a second 5GHz network with hidden SSID at the same channel and channel width as my configured network. I've confirmed this with a wifi scan utility from my smartphone. Why? And how can I turn it off?

Responses

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

1 y ago

I have the same issue. Mine is configured with the guest network enabled (2.4Ghz) an 80Mhz 5Ghz network on channel 104 (802.11a/n/ac). I see two networks on that channel except that one is hidden. As far as I know I never set up a hidden network. Does anyone know why this is?

FWIW my internet speed tests OK, but I get a lot of stalling when loading web pages. I am not seeing any channel conflicts, but I do get a lot of Transmit Discard Packet errors on the 5Ghz radio. I'm not sure if this is related.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

1 y ago

Yes, I also have webpage stalling on 5Ghz band at times. No I do not have TV/STB, however it seems like this is what is going on. There is no option in the router to disable this which would be nice because the interference can cause problems. But I get that AT&T nerfs the router to prevent people from screwing up their TV service (same reason they don't let you change DNS servers on the router). I am probably going to buy another router, put it in AP mode, and just use it for Wifi, then turn off the Wifi on the BGW210.

julerobb1

• 

98 Messages

8 m ago

The hidden network SSID is not actually an SSID. Its a feature built into most Operating systems (Windows, OSx, Linux, ChromeOS, etc) that allows you to connect to a network not broadcasting its service set identifier, (SSID).

Wireless (WiFi) devices see all available Wi-Fi networks close to you.

If it is in available Wi-Fi networks list it can be some other person Wi-Fi network close enough so your laptop can see it.

Hidden = Wi-Fi station is set to mode "don't show SSID or don't broadcast network name/SSID. "

@arosenbl
@DT777

(edited)

Get started

Ask a question
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.