Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
joepiccaso

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

Wed, Jan 30, 2019 8:23 PM

Best Router or Gateway for the Fiber Internet 1000 service?

I have just gotten the Fiber 1000 unlimited plan and they installed an AT&T Gateway/router.  I already have a network set up with a couple Netgear Black Hawk routers, so I really just need a good modem.  What is the best modem for the fiber that is compatible?  

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

tonydi

Guru

• 

979 Messages

2 years ago

What you'll want to do, Joe, is to configure the AT&T gateway for IP Passthrough.  That will allow you to use your exiting router.  It's not a simple procedure so here's the link that the AT&T support people usually point to for guidance....https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Strict-NAT-Bridge-Mode-What-is-IP-Passthrough-Can-I-enable-on-my/td-p/5296974

tonydi

Guru

• 

979 Messages

2 years ago

There isn't a fiber-compatible modem.  If you don't want to deal with the AT&T RG and using IP Passthrough to connect your router, then Google around for instructions on how to bypass the RG completely using a dumb switch.  It's against site policy to post links to third party sites so you'll have to find it on your own.  Also, be aware that AT&T does not support the bypass method and it's against their terms of service.  That said, people report excellent results with the bypass.

joepiccaso

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

2 years ago

Tonydi, thanks for the info. I just have heard so much about the AT&T
Modems being slow, I wanted to know what my options are. I'm not a power
user, but we only stream TV now and I hit the cap with Comcast and got the
AT&T Fiber. The 100 plan was $50 + $30 for unlimited. For $10 more, I
could get the 1000 unlimited plan, so why not? I already have a wireless
network, so I'll just turn the radios off in the AT&T device and only use
it as a modem. I'm not sure which one I have, but I will check to see if
it is Giga speed. My TV and streaming devices are all hard wired in. I
s/b fine. Thanks for the info.

Joe
joepiccaso

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks, I've done it before on a Comcast Gateway. I should be able to do
this. I got the equipment last August I think, but only had the 100
internet plan. i now have the 1000 Plan. How do I know if the gateway I
have now has Giga speed, or do all of them now have it?
tonydi

Guru

• 

979 Messages

2 years ago

Yeah, unfortunately the AT&T units aren't as easy to configure for an external router.  On the Comcast box it's usually just a matter of selecting "bridge mode" but that doesn't exist on the AT&T gateways.

There are only two gateways for AT&T fiber, the Pace 5268AC and the newer Arris BGW-210-700.  Both are capable of gigabit speed.  You'd want to make sure that whatever router you use has gigabit ports.  You'll need to Google your router's model number to be sure but I think any NightHawk (you mentioned Black Hawk but I think you have NightHawk) router should have gig ports.  But check to be sure.

joepiccaso

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

a year ago

Yes, sorry, it is Nighthawk and they both have Gigabit speeds.  And, I do have the Arris BGW-210-700.

Just one more Question.  Since I ungraded from the 100 speed to the 1000 speed plan, I thought I heard that I may need to reset the ONT.  Do I, and if so, how do I do that?  Just unplug everything and hook it back up from the ONT forward?

Thanks again for all of your help.

tonydi

Guru

• 

979 Messages

a year ago

Yeah, power off the ONT and the Netgear.  Power up the ONT first and wait a couple of minutes for it to do its thing, then power up the Netgear and wait another couple of minutes for it.

That should do it!

joepiccaso

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

a year ago

I assume I should do the Pass-Through thing first on the GW?

tonydi

Guru

• 

979 Messages

a year ago

If you mean before or after power cycling both devices, it really doesn't matter.

joepiccaso

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

a year ago

That's what I meant.  Very good.  Thank you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

Does the ATT router have full bridge mode capability?  Can we just turn into into a dummy pass through device?

tonydi

Guru

• 

979 Messages

a year ago

Unfortunately, neither the Pace 5268AC nor the Arris BGW210-700 have bridge mode for reasons only AT&T knows.

If you want to add a router to the Pace, you need to put enable DMZ+ mode.  With the BGW, you have to enable IP Passthrough.  Both methods are a poor substitute for a true bridge mode solution.

Here's the rather old instructions AT&T points users to for instructions....

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/smb-internet/KM1188700?gsi=ltva3a

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

I was not there for the installation but I left a note for the AT&T Prem Tech to put his modem/router in Full bridge mode. He connected it to my Linksys 1900AC which by the way IS compatible with AT&T fiber. It's all good camera's are accessible remotely and getting Gigabyte speed. Props to the AT&T Prem Tech that installed it. Glad AT&T is hiring capable people. I got to admit I had my doubts it would go smoothly but it did.

Transponder

ACE - Scholar

• 

463 Messages

a year ago

Have you tried just using the supplied ATT equipment and nothing else? Depending on the size of your house, it may provide good service and not need any bypass and other equipment. I would try this first then determine if you need to bypass. You won't know unless you try it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

I just had fiber 1000 installed. It uses the bgw210 modem/router.

Prior to ATT, I had comcast and used a cheap-ish D-Link AC1200 gigabit router.

The installer said the bgw210 isn't a great router and said I should use the D-Link AC1200 instead. He just plugged it into an ethernet port on the BGW210.  He did not set the bgw210 for ip[ passthrough because he said that doesn't work and they do not recommend it. 

Now, I have the choice of picking the ATTexm-nul network  OR the network from the DLink. Everything is still connected to the DLink because it was easier to not have to reconfigure all devices to the bgw210. 5 Blink cameras, 1 ring doorbell, 3 wifi wall switches, 1 ipad, 2 samsung phones, 4 smart tvs and 2 desktop computers. All seem to work fine BUT...

I ran a few speed tests on my wifi connected computer (& my samsung phone) about 30 feet away from the Dlink router and best I got was around 300mbps up and down. Where am I supposed to get a 1000mbps test score? 

What hardware should I be using to get the most out of my fiber 1000 service? 

thanks! 

• 

1 Message

I have the same problem. I have 980 mbps at the gateway but the router produces no more tan 300. I’m a little perturbed that they up sell the 1000 mbps but don’t have the downstream equipment to perform.

• 

1 Message

@biugbusa1 in this case - example- iPhone 6 or 7 and above to the iPhone X & 11 pro can collect a bandwidth download of 300 Mbps- however, with my iPhone XR I have gotten 360-384mbps max- never 400 Mbps because it’s not capable of more— but— getting 300+ on any device will do the most and beyond as far as capabilities/ streaming 4 k or whatever you’re trying to do.

Get started...

Ask a new question