Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
joepiccaso

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

Wed, Jan 30, 2019 8:23 PM

Best Router or Gateway for the Fiber Internet 1000 service?

I have just gotten the Fiber 1000 unlimited plan and they installed an AT&T Gateway/router.  I already have a network set up with a couple Netgear Black Hawk routers, so I really just need a good modem.  What is the best modem for the fiber that is compatible?  

Responses

joepiccaso

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

5 months ago

Can you get 10000 Mbps on WiFi? I don't think I've seen Giga-speed WiFi.
Interesting!

• 

4 Messages

@joepiccaso Wifi 6 can pull over 1 gig easily.

tonydi

Guru

• 

532 Messages

5 months ago

Joe is right, you won't get anywhere close to gigabit speeds with any current wireless device.  I can't recall seeing anything much over 400Mbps with any device when using the 5Ghz band. And on any device connected to the 2.4Ghz band is probably not going to see anything north of 50Mbps.

n2itus

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

5 months ago

Obviously wired should give the best performance, but assume you are talking about wireless.  Take a look at this for some basic wifi terms: https://www.homesc.com/Blog/201813/Understanding-WiFi

You have to have both a network card and a router that supports the speed that you need - and you'll never be able to get the full max.  Let's take your router, it supports a max of 300 mbps if using the 2.4 ghz bands and 867 mbps if using the 5 ghz bands with 802.11 ac (that's an either / or because you are not connecting to both).   Let's take that 867 mbps.  In reality you'll never get that.  

A rule of thumb - divide that by 2 - so 433 - that is about the best that you'll get for one device.  If you have more than one device active at a time, than take that 433 and divide it by number of active devices - and this is about how much each will be able to use at a time.    

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

This is not necessarily true. If your wireless router and wireless device can support MiMo connections speeds can increase dramatically. Especially with nicer routers. I’m sitting on my 2.4ghz connection right now at about 435 mbps and my 5ghz does a solid 787. 

Seapatch

Teacher

• 

32 Messages

2 months ago

you cannot buy one for ATT you must use there cheap one it cost $70 but thats why its free to have from them LOL the nighthack you have is 802.11.ax they do not have AX wecome to ATT

Seapatch

Teacher

• 

32 Messages

2 months ago

you cannot buy one for ATT you must use there cheap one it cost $70 but thats why its free to have from them LOL the nighthack you have is 802.11.ax they do not have AX wecome to ATT 

• 

1 Message

1 month ago

Can anyone tell me if the Linksys® EA9500 Max-Stream™ AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit WiFi Router will work with AT&T 1,000 fiber?

What Modem will work instead of renting the AT&T one?

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

@theump13 You can put a second modem behind the AT&T leased one but you cannot replace it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.