Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
atandtfan's profile

8 Messages

Friday, March 22nd, 2024 6:23 AM

Battery backup for BGW320?

Does anyone have recommendation for a battery backup suitable for powering BGW320 so I can continue to have uninterrupted internet access during power outage, voltage sag, etc.  What's the minimum VA rating I should look for?  Thanks.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

2 months ago

Typically the power brick will have those details.  Any decent APC unit should work. The larger the battery , the longer it will hold the RG up. 

Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

2 months ago

Depends on how much you're going to plug into it and how long you expect it to stay up. Just the modem 500 should be good for a couple hours. Modem, PC, monitor 900 might give you 30 minutes. I have a 500 on the ONT, 900 on router and PC. If we get more than a few minutes power interruption I shut the PC down and just use WiFi with laptop and phones if needed.  Most UPS websites will let you punch in the number of total watts you're plugging into the UPS and give you an idea of how long they will last.

Tutor

• 

444 Messages

2 months ago

See https://www.powertecsolutions.net/li-75-battery

This is the solution designed for the unit. Not all battery backup units (BBUs) work the same. Many are not designed for the power draw characteristics of the gateways (I think it is low drain for long time) and AT&T-recommended devices are tested for that.

This is done by use of a DC-out BBU instead of the traditional AC BBU's used for most devices.

(edited)

Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

2 months ago

Doesn't specify the VA or the amp hour. If that will go 24hrs, then my APC 900m will last a lot longer than that. It's 480 watts, the 500 is 350 watts, but like I said when the power goes out for more than a few minutes I shut my PC down as that's the biggest power drain and just use the WiFi. If the power company is predicting a prolonged outage I break out the generator. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

2 months ago

Meh, I’ve used my APC 1500 for years just fine including going through battery pack replacement.  It was because I had my RG on battery backup I was able to catch Att not keeping their VRAD powered during power outages. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.