Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
greyteak's profile

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, April 30th, 2020 3:25 PM

Closed

AT&T router with IP passthrough to Netgear router slows internet download speed

I switched to AT&T Fiber 1000 about three weeks ago and AT&T provided me a brand new Arris BGW210-700 gateway/router, even though I prefer to use my own router (a Nighthawk R8000P). I succeeded in configuring the Arris router to use IP-passthrough to work with my R8000P using the concept detailed from this article: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734. The only setting otherwise was to set the BGW210-700’s ethernet port 1 to use ‘1G Full Duplex’. That said, the download speed (both wired/WiFi) is consistently metering at around 350 to 400 Mbps. So why were my WiFi download speeds higher (at/or near 100% of what was advertised) with my old ISP (WOW). They allowed the modem to connect directly to the router and I consistently clocked near 550 Mbps every day (at one time near 600 Mbps). When changing to AT&T Fiber 1000, nothing changed at all with the my router or devices (obviously nothing on my internal network can be blamed with the slowdown as I clocked almost 600 Mbps using a different ISP but exact same network configuration). My question is does any additional setting need to occur on the Arris BGW210-700 to ensure IP passthrough actually delivers the full bandwidth to my Nighthawk? Hoping someone within the community can shed some light here. Note my R8000P firmware is updated to the latest as of 4/19/2020 (V1.4.1.50_1.3.10).

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

4 years ago

Let's simplify first.

Put the Ethernet Port 1 back to Auto.

Then disconnect your Netgear and hook a computer via an Ethernet cable directly to the BGW and run the speedtest. If you're on a Win10 machine, download the Ookla Speed Test app from the Microsoft Store and use that. It's more accurate than the web browser tests.

Make a note of the results of that test, then use your browser to go into the BGW's UI and go to Diagnostics, then Speed Test then click the Run Speed Test button. That's a test of your line, from the BGW to AT&T. It should be around 940/940. If it's way lower than that then something's up with the fiber or the BGW and you'd need to call AT&T.

The instructions on DSLReports are for an older gateway and so I didn't go through them completely to see if the instructions still apply to the BGW. Here's the most current info AT&T provides for IP Passthrough.....

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-equipment/strict-nat-bridge-mode-what-is-ip-passthrough-can-i-enable-on-my-arris-bgw210-or-like-router/5defbfffbad5f2f606ad5ed2

• 

23 Messages

Thanks for the reply!

So here's the follow-up to what you suggested (I actually did the above steps about two weeks ago so this confirms my connection is good). My results are in brackets ....

---

Put the Ethernet Port 1 back to Auto. [DONE]

Then disconnect your Netgear and hook a computer via an Ethernet cable directly to the BGW and run the speedtest. [Tested at 934 Mbps DOWN / 944 Mbps UP]

..., then use your browser to go into the BGW's UI and go to Diagnostics, then Speed Test then click the Run Speed Test button. That's a test of your line, from the BGW to AT&T. It should be around 940/940. [Mine meters at 976 Mbps DOWN / 932 Mbps UP]

---

Relating to the above link to the page on latest IP Passthrough settings, my settings match these (see attached screenshot).

So after testing above speeds on my Windows 10 Lenovo ThinkPad, I plugged my Cat7 Ethernet cable back into my Nighthawk and rebooted this router. Retesting the download speed and I'm back at 406 Mbps DOWN / 477 Mbps UP.

Thoughts?

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

What's the model # of the TP? Do you know which Ethernet chipset is in it?

Have you tried updating the network drivers for both Ethernet and Wifi? I know that sounds like the typical blow-off response you get from lousy tech support people but I've had first hand experiences like yours and then the driver update brought the speeds back to full wired numbers.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

23 Messages

So in this case though if the Ethernet drivers needed updating, why did it allow me download 934 Mbps (albeit direct from the BGW router)? A couple of weeks ago, I actually tested a few occurrences where I got it to download above 910+ Mbps from the router too (configured to receive IP Passthrough from the BGW). It just wasn't consistent then and over the last two weeks, the wired (I don't care about WiFi at this point) is consistently back to around 400 when from the Nighthawk R8000P. The above wired test in my former post was on a brand new SkyTech Blaze Gaming PC with 16 GB DDR4 RAM and Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz. It's only 3 months old.

• 

23 Messages

Another piece of info ... my Nighthawk is showing right now that it is pulling 400 from the BGW.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

Good question about why you might need the latest drivers despite the full BGW speeds. The chipsets that are in newer routers may present problems that aren't present in older chipsets like the BGW has. The network chipset people continuously monitor issues and update drivers. Is this a big issue? No, but I'm trying to cover all of the possibilities here.

Are you an Internet-only account or do you have phone and/or TV delivered through the BGW?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I recently enabled IP passthrough and connected a Cisco RV320. When I first tested the speed, I was typically getting 880-930Mbps up and down. But, after spending the day getting the router and wireless access points configured, I retested the speed. Now I was getting 75-125Mbps down and 600-700 up.

After a while, I realized that I had moved my PC connection to a different port on the router. I originally was on port 3 but had moved to port 1. That ports supports mirroring of all traffic and I needed to run WireShark for troubleshooting.

So I moved my PC back to port 3 and retested. My speeds went back up to 900+ up and down. I turned off the traffic mirroring to port 1 and tried again but I am still getting the slower speed on that port. Apparently the Cisco RV320 can handle the higher traffic on the port that supports mirroring.

So, one recommendation might be to try a different port on the router and see if that makes any difference.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

There shouldn't be any difference between the Ethernet ports on the AT&T gateways. Now, that doesn't mean that one or more of the ports may be defective because, after all, these gateways are flawed in many ways. So yes, trying a different port on a Pace or the Arris gateway is a valid test but there aren't any configuration options like you have on that Cisco box.

• 

4 Messages

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the ports on the Cisco router. Port one on that router will mirror all traffic to to allow sniffing. But when my PC was connected to the Cisco port 1, I got much slower throughput. When I moved my PC to another port on the Cisco router, I am getting almost the full bandwidth (1G). My suggestion to try a different port was referring to the downstream router and not the ATT gateway.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

No no, I understood exactly what you were saying. I just wanted to point out that even though you were talking about the Cisco's port 1, the same weird result has been seen one (or all of) the gateway's ports because some have shown to be defective.

• 

23 Messages

Hello @mjgarner,

Thanks for that piece of information. So when I initially tested my Nighthawk X6S (R8000P), I encountered a similar experience (before I posted the issue on this thread). In my case, I was clocking through one of the Ethernet ports of my X6S over 900 Mbps (on the 4th jack/port). When I switched to Ethernet ports 1-3, I was only getting half or less this speed. I kept testing this and for whatever reason I somehow lost the 900 Mbps on port 4. I'm going to have to re-test after what you mentioned. Maybe some of my ports are faster than others (that said I never encountered this issue from other ISPs ... but then again I wasn't using fiber optic either).

If you don't mind me asking, are you still getting the near 900 Mbps speeds through your Cisco? Also, on the AT&T Arris gateway/router, did you adjust the speed on the Ethernet port at all (like to '1G Full Duplex') or maybe you left it at 'auto'?

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

There's no setting on the R8000P like what @mjgarner has on that Cisco. There is a link aggregation setting that works on ports 1 and 2 but that's totally different and doesn't affect speeds.

• 

23 Messages

4 years ago

I want to take a moment and mention my latest findings.  About a month ago, I changed my configuration up in anticipation of using pfSense as my new router/firewall.  Prior to that setup, I simplified my setup to simply use the BGW210-700 as the default router and configured my Nighthawk as an access point (with downgraded firmware).  This opened up my wired Ethernet speeds a lot as I'm measuring consistently around 910-945 Mbps up and down.  My WiFi speeds went up to as high as 620-640 Mbps up and down (at 20 ft from the Nighthawk).  Albeit, the speeds come with the trade-off of relying on AT&T's router.

So my pfSense and Protectli device arrived in the mail not too long ago.  I watched a couple of tutorials and slapped on the latest pfSense USB install software.  Overall a nice-looking router.  I'm hoping though that someone in the community with pfSense knowledge might reveal what's needed to unlock this device with BGW's IP passthrough setup.  When configuring the BGW IP passthrough to the Nighthawk, the setup was as simple as configuring a separate network on the 192.168.10.0 range and setting the BGW to IP passthrough direct to the Nighthawk.  An internet connection was immediately available to the outside.

With the pfSense, I setup a WAN and LAN port, followed by a separate network using gateway 192.168.10.1.  But when configuring the BGW to IP passthrough direct to the pfSense, an outside connection is not immediately available.

A few screenshots below capture my mostly basic setup on the pfSense (defaults were selected for the most part of pfSense wizard).  I can access the pfSense just fine, but I can't ping '8.8.8.8' even though network connection appears up from the pfSense dashboard.  So maybe some routing configuration needs to occur here?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

4 years ago

Post here for pfsense help. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/uverse

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I really appreciated all the testing and communication on R8000 behind the BGW210-700. Although it has only been a day so my stability is not yet established, I was pleasantly surprised to consistently achieve ~946/943 speeds running off the netgear  R8000 in IP Passthough. I did not turn off the BGW210 firewall settings.

Will do more testing and take a closer look at my netgear setting. We have about 35-40 devices connected via the R8000 mostly via WiFi.

more later...

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have AT&T 1000 as well but I have the Pace 5268 and I am having the same problem.  I have an ASUS RT-AC5300.  When I connect to the Pace directly I get 900+ but connecting through the WAN of the ASUS I also get 400 measured from the router. 

From what I have read the BGW210 could bypass this but I guess not.

• 

23 Messages

2 years ago

Thought I'd share ...

My recent setup involving a pfSense router and the BGW210-700 have proven very helpful for my network speed tests.  Below points highlight what worked:

* BGW210-700 is set to bridge mode (IP passthrough); traffic forwards direct to the mac address of my pfSense WAN port.

* pfSense is running as my primary router and firewall on a Protectli Vault 4-port appliance.

* pfSense LAN port connects to a switch and the switch connects to the rest of my network.

* Netgear Nighthawk (R8000P) runs as an access point.

Using the above setup, test internet speeds on WiFi reach up to 630 Mbps down/up and on wired I'm getting near 950 Mbps down/up.  So in all, using pfSense on the Protectli Vault appliance seems to really help unlock the speed of AT&T fiber.  While other solutions exist, I'll be sticking with this configuration indefinitely.

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Does anyone know what chip set the BGW 320 uses?  Broadcom or Intel?

I know the BGW 210 is Broadcom...

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Does anyone know what Gateway (manufacturer and model #)  ATT provides for Business and Enterprise service?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.