Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
A

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Dec 26, 2019 5:48 PM

ATT REFUSES TO TELL ME WHAT KIND OF FIBER CABLE I NEED TO BUY

For troubleshooting purposes, I want to buy a spare fiber cable to run from my demarcation point to my fiber modem. Unfortunately the ATT quasi-monopoly REFUSES TO TELL ME WHAT KIND OF FIBER CABLE I NEED TO BUY. Can anyone help provide this information?

So far I've figured out that the connector type on both ends should be SC. The connectors are green so that means the fiber termination should be APC. But I'm not sure what kind of fiber is being used... There are various possibilities, such as:

OS1, OS2, 9 micron, 9µm, 9/125 = Singlemode

OM1, 62.5 micron, 62.5µm, 62.5/125 = Multi-mode 62.5

OM2, 50 micron, 50µ, 50/125 = Multi-mode 50

OM3, 10GB, 10gig, 50 micron, 50µm, 50/125 = 10GB Multi-mode

Thanks for any help y'all can provide!

Responses

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.7K Messages

9 months ago

AT&T runs fiber to an ONT at your DEMARC. They own that fiber and will be their sole responsibility to maintain/replace. Between the ONT and the router, they will utilize Ethernet over twisted pair cabling.

Thus, they cannot tell you which fiber to run, because there is no fiber in the run you're talking about. Instead you would need Cat5e or better twisted pair cabling.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

what part of "I want to buy a spare fiber cable to run from my demarcation point to my fiber modem" do you not understand? Exactly what part?

and PS, you are telling me to use a cat5e twisted pair in place of a fiber cable. This is not how reality works. Please shut up and go away. your condescention is not helpful.

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

9 months ago

Please shut up and go away. your condescention is not helpful.

Pot, meet kettle.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

17.7K Messages

@A_T_T_wont_tell_me_what_fiber_type_I_need , Both My thoughts and I have told you what you need, and you refuse to listen. Good day, sir.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

The truth is, Majority of AT&T employees don’t know which fiber standard is used when the fiber arrives to the Premises. Also ATT modem/router combo units do not have a fiber port to directly plug the fiber into the modem. The fiber first feeds into a Optical Network Terminal then communicates to the modem via cat5e Ethernet wire.
try looking at the fiber fittings and tip. The surface of the fiber is not flat, but slightly cleaved in a tilted slant. That may help you figure out which fiber size and standard is being used.

(edited)

Get started...

Ask a new question