Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Roys5's profile

• 

8 Messages

Friday, November 18th, 2022 9:03 PM

AT&T Pace Model:5286AC Questions

Attached are "Before and After Fiber photos" of my AT&T Equipment. The equipment provides U-verse TV, Fiber Internet and Digital Voice for my home phones.

What I am interested in, is how each of those three services are now connected to the Pace 5286AC after it was changed to Fiber Optic?

Prior to Fiber, I believe Phone (VOIP) and Internet were coming in on the green DSL wire. I am not sure if U-verse also was or split off the same service wire.

So now that that green cable is gone, are all three services coming in on the "ONT" Optic cable?

Is U-verse coming in on another cable? 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

31K Messages

3 months ago

Before you upgraded, your connection to the AT&T IP network, which includes traffic for all three services, transited the green cable which was carrying the IP data using the VDSL2 protocol over one or two pair of copper wire; the 5268AC processed the VDSL2 protocol and extracted the IP traffic.

Now you connection to the AT&T IP network occurs over a strand of fiber which terminates in the Nokia 020 ONT, which speaks the XGS-PON protocols over the fiber and translates the data into Ethernet packets.  The ONT is connected to the 5268AC using an Ethernet cable to the ONT port of the 5268AC.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

20K Messages

3 months ago

In essence only the platform changed... green data cable on xDSL port to ethernet cable in ONT port.

The gateway and all connections behind the gateway is the same.

What speaks to me is either a shortage of XSGPON PFP, 320 gateway, or both.

The fiber connection is right there, not at a different location feeding to the gateway.

Upon 2nd look, have at least one Uverse receiver on coax, thus need to stay with the 5268... no upgrade to BGW 210 or BGW 320.

Canceling Uverse IPTV or paying to replace coax would allow newer equipment.

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

31K Messages

3 months ago

I have a Nokia 020 ONT due to inventory issues.  I was quite fine with it, because I don't know that I could have induced the installer to run the fiber to the Gateway location.  As it was, I already had cabling suitable for the Ethernet run sitting between where the ONT went and the Gateway.  I kept my BGW210 (having shed the coax cabling when it replaced the NVG589, and actually pulled the Cat 5e to replace the coax and the segment used for the ONT at the same time).

• 

8 Messages

3 months ago

Interesting to me, and I will attach two more photos of what is just below the shelf with the equipment, is that the tech was able to run the fiber directly to the location of the equipment. It was a relatively easy job.

So can you tell me if that "White Cable" with the "Green" connector ends is actually "Fiber"? The one that connects from the white fiber box under the shelf to the back of the Nokia box. Or would it be Ethernet? Or Cat 5?

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

3 months ago

The black cable coming into your wall plate is the incoming fiber and the white cable coming out is a fiber jumper cable to go to your ONT.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

31K Messages

3 months ago

Basically, AT&T terminates the fiber coming from outside in a wall plate.  The idea being that (1) if you move out and someone else moves in, you'll leave the wall plate and they can ship a gateway and fiber jumper and they can self-install, and (2) if something happens to the fiber jumper (and a lot of things seem to happen to that last bit of fiber before the ONT / Gateway), those are relatively easy to replace, vs rerunning the fiber from outside.

• 

8 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks for great for answers and explanations.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.