Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Tcjmoon's profile

9 Messages

Tuesday, February 13th, 2024 12:03 AM

AT&T Office of the President

I have the 5G Fiber service and now for over a month, it has been terrible. I do want to start out by saying every Tech that has come to the house has been great and the latest tech (Can't enter his name) is by far the best. 

I have spent hours on the phone, taken time off work and last week I got a call from the "Office of the President" they said I would be contacted and was that same day. I spent 2 hours on the phone and ended that call with "Well, I have to check with my peers, because I have tried everything and have no idea" I asked if it would be fixed before the Superbowl and was told yes it would. Well, that time has passed, without a call back from anyone. He gave me his direct number, which I called and left a message, but still nothing. They are funny about customer equipment (Dongles) as verification of test, though they want me to run them, go figure. Well I went out and bought a new computer, with an internal 10G network card. I'm adding a screenshot of what I get for speeds on AT&T's forced site, though Ookla is the same.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 months ago

First of all you have up to 5Gbps (or 5,000Mbps). Try to avoid calling it 5G as that refers to the 5th generation wireless (phone) network, which AT&T has been rolling out.

WiFi always has some degradation. So it will never be as fast as if wired to the Gateway/router. That being said, AT&T's Gateways are well known for not having the best WiFi connection and routing built-in. So many use their own wireless router in passthrough mode leaving the AT&T Gateway just to be the modem. And no matter how good your WiFi router is there is still the question on how good the WiFi is on the device you're connecting.

This is a public forum of other customers so has nothing to do with official support, much less with their Office of the President (which shouldn't be your topic and instead be something like "Slow WiFi speeds). If you wish to complain that high up, submit a BBB complaint. Otherwise look into your own wireless router to connect to the Gateway, which other users in the forum can give some guidance on that.

(edited)

9 Messages

2 months ago

First off, I posted in the fiber equipment forum, so I just assumed the “5G Fiber service” would be enough for this forum, but I’ll try to remember to use 5Gbps to avoid your confusion. 
That being said, if you’re going to belittle someone’s post, please try reading the post first or have a friend.

I never mention “Wi-Fi” speeds in my post because that’s not my issue, so why would I put “slow Wi-Fi speeds” in the subject. Try not to be confused by the “Wi-Fi Gateway Speeds” listed on the screenshot, that’s just what it’s called. To explain further, the “Device Speeds” shown is a test of the device that’s running the test, so if you’re connected to the Ethernet port on your computer, it will give the speed of your Ethernet connection, which mine is connected to the 5Gbps port on the back of the gateway.

I will say that your comment was helpful, because it shows the tunnel vision many of us consumers have to deal with from the “Experts”, so please try to listen to what we are saying or in this case read.

As for the use of the forum, it’s “forums.att.com” therefore an AT&T service, so what better way to get their attention. 
To anybody else, my post must’ve worked, because they called me within an hour of posting. They still didn’t fix it, but it’s being elevated to their engineers. I’d also like to mention those “Experts” are very professional. 

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 months ago

Certainly wasn't belittling you for use of 5G vs 5Gbps. Only a suggestion as many post in the wrong sections or skim over info so 'might' cause confusion so didn't want you getting incorrect responses because of that.

You did mention WiFi speeds by your 2nd screenshot. That was your iPhone which connecting to your Gateway would be by WiFi as you don't wire your phone to it. That showed a comparison of great speeds to the Gateway but much lower by WiFi to the phone.

This is a public forum that has no connection to your AT&T account. As such they don't know who you are or have your phone number to be able to call you. As such it is against the forum rules to even post personal numbers in the threads for your privacy and protection. Unless that was a follow-up from prior tech support (doubtful) than it was likely someone trying scam you (more likely). That is why with any company it is highly recommended to only call official numbers and not answer calls (or give out info) when they cold call you as opposed to a specific call setup you were expecting.

No matter how many times you quote "Experts" it does not devalue anything I have told you. I gave you polite and factual information with the intent to help. Though nothing about my posts has to be "professional", nothing about my prior one would be the opposite. It was conveyed simply and politely. Anything to the contrary was added by you as reading malicious intent where there was none.

To anybody else, the post couldn't have worked. You don't provide your phone number or account info in this public forum. So they have absolutely no way to know who you are. Such information is private to each user.

9 Messages

2 months ago

When you start the reply with “First of all you” then correct the person, that’s not done to be polite. Then go on to point out all the reasons I’m being unreasonable in my expectations. 
As I said, you see what you want to see “Wi-Fi” was not typed into my post. There are only two screenshots and I think you’re confused by the first one which is a test performed using my iPhone, but the focus is on the notice about  slow speed to the gateway, which you can clearly see by the 1164 upload. 
Second is the speed from my Windows 11 desktop with the 10G network card.

Yes they do monitor the forums and not just here. The group a level under AT&T executive office is the media group. I found this out because my account was elevated to the wrong group and in my conversations with the person that information came out. It’s not a bad thing. 
I’m moving on from this post, thank you for the help you provide in these forums and I am sincere, I’ve read some of your post and you’re very helpful. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 months ago

To anybody else, my post must’ve worked, because they called me within an hour of posting.

Lest anyone get the wrong impression, any call you received was not related to a post here.  You must have reached out some other way.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 months ago

Using "First of all" can be done politely. With an influx of posts regarding AT&T moving forward with 5G phone service it is something that has caused confusion in some threads. So was just a suggestion to help you avoid posts unrelated to the discussion.

Your screenshot shows speed to the Gateway (getting close to max possible speed) and then to your iPhone (much lower as expected per WiFi connection). So you did include that information. Would have been better to leave that out as is not part of the problem. A speed test from your wired desktop (what is having the issue) would have been more useful.

Since you don't list your phone number or identity in your post or forum profile, how could they possibly know who you are and what number to call you at? This forum is not tied to your service account in any way. To clarify I am not saying they don't monitor the forum, but it is not an official support medium and there is no access to know who you are. So if they called you that had no connection this thread, and very high chance it was just someone pretending to be AT&T unless perhaps you reached out to them on one of their official social media contacts (which again has nothing to do with this forum).

9 Messages

2 months ago

"Your screenshot shows speed to the Gateway (getting close to max possible speed) and then to your iPhone (much lower as expected per WiFi connection)." I will address your misinterpretation of the screenshot from the app, but I'll start with your statement first. Running a speed test comprises two separate tests, one is called download, which measures the speed being sent from the server to the gateway, the other is called upload, which measures the speed that is being sent from the gateway to the server, now those test measure more than just speed, as they do affect the results of the test, but we'll just focus on speed. Now I have a 5Gbps fiber optic connection to my home, so the expected results should be close to 5Gbps and many times in the past, they were both higher that the 5Gbps, they also should be relatively close, but there are differences. The test below, is well below AT&T's expected results, hence, the notice.

I believe you are having difficulty following the app, so hopefully this will help:

The app performs two tests, the first test is a test of upload/download speeds involving only AT&T (their servers of choice) and the Gateway, the second test is a test of upload/download speeds from the Gateway to the device initiating the test. Now, in most cases, the initiating device has a Wi-Fi connection, so it would test the Wi-Fi speeds, but keep in mind, this is not always the case. You can and sometimes I do use an Ethernet connection to my iPhone, although not the case for this test, and I wasn't concerned with Wi-Fi speeds, because that's not my issue. Note: You don't have the ability to perform just a Gateway test on the app, at least not on IOS.

The results of the performed test display, now this is important, so pay close attention, the test results have a separation between them, this is for ease of identifying each result.

Here's a screenshot to help.

"and then to your iPhone (much lower as expected per WiFi connection)." You are incorrect (refer to previous), the notice is not for Wi-Fi.

I hope this helped. 

One last thing:

My calls are from AT&T, because they have been trying to fix this since early January. My call last night ended with having to be elevated to engineering. I'm supposed to get a call back today.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 months ago

Gee, now who's being snarky?  (In this case excessively polite to the point it's a caricature of politeness and comes off as the opposite.)

the second test is a test of upload/download speeds from the Gateway to the device initiating the test.

I think you are incorrect here as to what is measured.  I believe it is a test from the client to the same Speedtest server as the test from the Gateway.

my post must’ve worked, because they called me within an hour of posting. 

My calls are from AT&T, because they have been trying to fix this since early January.

Wow!  How did they know in early January you were going to post this yesterday?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

2 months ago

If you are discussing this with someone from the Office of the President AND engineering, what do you hope to accomplish posting on a public message board?

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 months ago

I had no difficulty in following the app. Phone wired to internet by Ethernet is rather unusual so was not automatically apparent. Phones are intended to connect wirelessly for internet (be it cellular or WiFi). Also internet is asymmetrical so upload can be slower than download. I would suggest to use tests from wired desktop as more reliable for the situation. If those show the same consistent drop under 4Mbps from what you're used to than that being a cause for concern is understandable. Just not impossible it could be just oversaturation in the area with more people/businesses or enough other customers usage going up.

The call you received was from the ongoing support you've received, not from posting in the forum (you have no personal contact info listed as is intended as anonymous posting, not official support). So your claim of "post must have worked" would simply be a coincidence, not fact. Though with that existing support including escalated to engineering, I fear there is not much more we can suggest if this is confirmed to be an issue on their end. Hope it all works out for you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.