Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
J

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, May 5th, 2020 4:32 PM

ATT Fiber Weak Signal Issues

I used to be an Xfinity customer and used the Arris Surfboard (SBG7400AC2) as a Cable Modem & Wifi Router. After switching to ATT Fiber, I use the equipment they recommend - Arris BGW210. Despite moving to Fiber, my experience has been extremely under-whelming. The WIFI speeds during non-peak hours max at 300Mbps, despite the gateway receiving 1000Mbps from the OTP or my laptop sitting right next to the modem. Also I live in a 3 level 3000 sq ft town-home and the connectivity in the master bedroom (3rd level, router in 2nd level) is so poor, even audio calls via Teams, Skype, etc keep disconnecting, making it inconvenient to work from home using ATT Fiber.

Possible Solutions:

1. Is it possible if I reposition the ATT router to the middle of the house with a longer ONT cable, that the connectivity in the 3rd level will significantly improve?

2. Is it possible to use my old Arris Surfboard router as WFI router/extender rather than the Arris BGW210?

3. Is it better to just buy WFI extender with mesh technology or a new home mesh unit set, considering the significant price difference?

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

4 years ago

The 1 gig speeds are achievable only via a WIRED connection. That's not an AT&T problem it's just the way wifi works. You don't get full wired speeds on a wifi connection.

Plus, the BGW is only an 802.11ac router, so the max that's to be expected from a Wifi 802.11ac device is someplace south of 400. Most fall into the range you're seeing.

As far as range, that's the least of your problems. The BGW has a difficult time providing stable wifi no matter how big or small the home is. But there's no way any single router is going to cover that many sq ft even if it was on a single story.

You can't use the Surfboard, it's a cable gateway, reguiring a coax cable connection.

Your last solution is workable, but don't use extenders. Get a mesh wifi system that has multiple satellites that you can distribute throughout the house.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.