Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
TexInRDU's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 15th, 2017 11:56 PM

AT&T Fiber Internet service does NOT maintain a solid connection, but I cannot get help with issue

I maintain a Remote Desktop Connection to my computer at home (AT&T Fiber Internet) from work, due to the fact that I don't want any personal information on my work computer.  This Remote Desktop Connection was solid while I had cable internet service, but since I switched to AT&T Fiber Internet service, I get disconnected several times a day.  It is important to point out that the only thing that has changed in my setup is that I now have the AT&T required U-Verse router, which I've bypassed as much as possible, instead of a cable modem.  I haven't changed any internal settings on the Netgear AC1750 router that I prefer.

When I called into Technical Support, they told me that they ran a 'test' on my line and determined that there was an issue, and they scheduled a technician to come out to my house.  When the technician arrived at my house over a week later, since they completely skipped the first appointment, he was very rude and abrasive with me.  He told me that there were no issues with the line and insisted that it was my third party router that was causing the issue.  He refused to listen to me explain that the only thing that has changed in my setup was the AT&T equipment and not my own, and he refused to do anything for me.  Not only that, but he also submitted a $99 charge for his service call on which he didn't fix anything, and didn't submit the charge to my bill until it was a month old, so that I got charged a $9 late fee as well.

Since the technician's visit, I have kept a spreadsheet with dates and times of each disconnection.  There have been 38 disconnections from my computer on 11 different days with as many as 7 disconnection in a single day, and 1 phone disconnection, when I was, ironically enough, on the phone with AT&T customer service, because I have an IP phone that runs over my internet connection.

I have completely given up on AT&T Customer Support.  I honestly don't think such a thing exists.  I have spent approximately 15 hours on the phone with AT&T 'Customer Service', between issues that I had when I signed up for the service, reporting the issue that I have now, and talking to multiple departments trying to get this $108 charge, that should never have been charged to my bill in the first place, off my bill.  I have yet to find anyone who is even willing to take the time to believe my issue actually exists.  I'm in a state of mind right now where I honestly don't feel like anyone at AT&T even cares that I have an issue, and don't have the time, energy, or patience to try to find someone over the phone.

Any help that I can get here would be appreciated.

P.S.  For what it's worth, I'm seriously considering switching to Google Fiber as soon as it's available in my neighborhood.

Community Support

• 

230.7K Messages

7 years ago

Hello @TexInRDU

We are sorry for the trouble with service and will be glad to help. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include this post and:

• Name
  • Account number
  • Phone number and the best time to reach you

Once we have your account details be looking for an email to the email associated with your forum ID or a call at a provided contact number.

-ATTCustomerCare

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Was there ever a solution to this? I'm having similar issues. Even with AT&T router.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

No solution yet.  Still waiting for a response from ATTCares.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

7 years ago

@TexInRDU, just checking... did you send the PM?  It has been less than a day since AT&T requested that PM, so you're well inside their window of two business days for a response, especially considering that yesterday was a Sunday and no "business day" time has even elapsed yet.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, I sent the PM as requested.  Waiting to hear back from them.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have this exact problem.  So frustrating. I'm switching back to Comcast strictly so I can use remote desktop.  What a joke!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have the same problem with remote desktop.  My problem did not exist until I switched to Gigapower.  I used RD on Comcast internet for years without disconnects.  AT&T support is worthless on this issue.  There is no one there that even knows what remote desktop is, let alone troubleshoot it.  

I'm going to switch back to Comcast because I don't feel they are ever gonna be able to take care of this issue.  I have also spent the 15 or more hours on the phone with support... they are miserable to talk to.  

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I hate to ask but was this ever fixed?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.