Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
M

• 

4 Messages

Friday, June 12th, 2020 12:23 AM

AT&T Fiber Frequent Disconnects

I'm a new AT&T Fiber 1000 member (1 month in). For the most part, I am very satisfied with the service; however, I am experiencing intermittent disconnects from service. It happens a few (3-5) times per day which is alarming since I'm at work or sleeping most of the day. It's nothing that a quick reset of the modem doesn't fix, but it is quite annoying (especially when playing online video games). At first I assumed it would iron itself out, but now I'm getting concerned that this is going to be an ongoing issue.

Is this type of behavior typical with fiber service? Or is there something wrong with my setup? Any suggestions/advice/HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Same issue and it has been 6 months since you last created that thread.

Years of AT&T DSL and zero issue. They over sold AT&T Fiber and now periodic connectivity loss. 

Their customer service rep was good and sent a wifi extender, but really wifi is not the problem. The stupid modem looses broadband connectivity (you can see either no light or red light blinkinging when it happens next to broadband sign). 

Not sure if it is modem/router problem itself but AT&T needed first a reliable/available product.
Seriously internet speed is second priority before reliability.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same issue here. Here's what I think. With so many smart home devices in every household nowadays they are connected to the internet 24x7 and consuming bandwidth.  I speculate that AT&T intentionally disrupts your service to force these devices to reset and reconfigure to the gateway update. These devices take time to reconnect and that basically decreases the demand on AT&T's internet network. The problem is if you are paying for your service and AT&T promised 99.9% uptime then they are not living up to their part of the con tract. Frequent interruptions are not acceptable. I get this almost every day now and yes I have a lot of smart devices connected to the internet but I am paying for the premium service Fiber Gigabit connection. We all need to petition AT&T to resolve this issue once and for all or have the F. C. C. look into it. 

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I have had continued issues this they upgraded me to Fiber - continue to get dropped, loss internet and almost EVERYnight around 1am or 2am on the dot I have to restart receiver.  Then when I called and complained they sent someone out to look at my connection, they said they adjusted something and I shouldn't have anymore issues, also they told me that my devises are problem to old to work with the internet? but what ever they did didn't fix the problem + on top of that they charged me $99 for them coming to my place saying it wasn't an ATT problem found???

I have been with ATT for Years they are going to  loss my business.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I’m having the dropouts with wired devices.  Nothing in my house is on WiFi except the cell phones ( which are connected via a wired wap).

I use Amazon fire tv via hdmi with the optional rj-45 connection to my lan...  never had issues with Cox and the Amazon fire tv.  Why now?  My connection is a LOT faster, but what’s with the dropouts??

was fine for about a month, now it’s a daily thing.

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

In my case it was a 100% a physical issue with the incoming line. Never had to replace any equipment or anything, just had to fix the incoming line. 

Since yours was working fine to start with, maybe a critter has damaged your line somehow. 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

31.4K Messages

2 years ago

Could you clarify a bit how you came to the conclusion that it's the Gateway itself, and not the fiber, and not the ONT (or the SFP)?

If you thought it was the Gateway, why did you get an extender?

I'm confused by your post.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

31.4K Messages

2 years ago

So you're running simultaneous pings from your device to 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.1.254 and they both start dropping out at the same time?  If 8.8.8.8 works when 192.168.1.254 doesn't, I'd be quite surprised. :-)  But it is a good test to ensure that whenever you're having issues, you are failing to get to the Gateway. 

Have you tried (1) Turning off band steering and/or (2) Locking the channel in each band so that the Gateway will not move on you (making the clients chase).

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

31.4K Messages

2 years ago

I would definitely not discourage you from getting a good Wi-Fi system.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

This is exactly what is happening to my family and I. I cannot figure out the (Edited per community guidelines) cause and we’ve been dealing with it for months. How did you fix your problem? I am so tired of having to deal with this. 

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.