Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
hanser084236's profile

4 Messages

Sunday, March 24th, 2024 9:52 PM

AT&T Fiber - Expanding Ethernet Through The Whole House

I'm really happy with my AT&T Fiber internet account and performance right now. WiFi works great in all rooms and on all devices and TVs.

I'm considering making a change to my house network, and I want to have internet in all rooms using Ethernet. I have a network closet where everything comes in and gets distributed using either coax or cat5 cables.

The router is located in one room (the study) and it only allows for one Ethernet connection on the back, but there are no devices or TVs in that room.

What's involved in keeping the WiFi running but distributing the internet to all the rooms? Who do I hire to make this change, if it's possible?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

3 months ago

I’m not sure what Att is willing or able to do these days.  At one point they offered a service for a cable run at $99.  I’m not sure they do that any longer, however in your case you already have the wiring coming together in one spot, so I don’t see a need to disturb that.  
Relocating the gateway into the closet should be fine for the purposes of Ethernet wiring. If you need more than 4 physical connections, just get yourself a switch.  The ones recommended earlier are fine.  

Finally, if you do use WiFi, hard not to these days, buy a quality system if possible to setup in access point mode.  This will be easiest to setup and maintain.   Also if you experience any electrical power issues, transient or otherwise, put the network equipment on battery backup.  

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

3 months ago

Att gateways have four Ethernet ports.  You may be confusing the device in the study with an ONT.  The gateway is a black box in all likelihood a BGW210 and is what should have a connection from the former device.  Please confirm.  

4 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks, gr8sho.

I do indeed have four Ethernet ports. My device is a Motorola BGW210-700. The ONT port is cabled into the wall jack, which leads to the network closet.

It would be easy to run ethernet cables from the back of the Motorola BGW210-700 to each device, but that's not practical. It would take 50' cable runs to each room.

I can live with my current setup, but ideally, I'd like to have internet access in each room using the existing wiring and jacks.

Relocate the gateway to where the network closet is, and run cables from the back of each of the four Ethernet ports back into the network closet, for each room?

Thanks again.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

3 months ago

A couple of points.  The BGW210 is adequate as a router but has a pitiful wifi section, so finding a suitable replacement for said wifi section is a fab notion.  Many of us do this.  
If your house already has cat 5 or better cabling, I’d certainly find a way to use it.  Either relocate the gateway to the closet or backfeed an Ethernet connection to the closet and use a switch to fan out the connections.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

3 months ago

backfeed an Ethernet connection to the closet and use a switch to fan out the connections.  

This is exactly what I was thinking: Use the cable run to where the Gateway is located to connect an Ethernet Switch at the distribution point.  Consumer Ethernet switches are small and don't give off much heat.  Amazon had the Netgear GS105 for $35 when I looked a day or two ago.  You can get other name brands cheaper on sale.

Ah... but I think the problem with this is that his ONT is at the location where we want the switch, and the leg is already in use taking Ethernet from the ONT to the BGW210.  You could solve this without another cable with two GS105Es and two VLANs, but that's a bit of overkill.  You could also physically split the cable into two 100BaseT, but that'd drop your speeds to 100 Mbps.

4 Messages

3 months ago

"a suitable replacement for said wifi section".

What do you suggest, and will AT&T recognize this replacement in my online account?

I think the best option is to move the gateway into my walk-in closet where the network closet is. Put it on a shelf, and run the four ethernet ports individually into the house cat5 wiring...?

I'm not a network guy, so...I'm just making this up. There has to be an easier way to get the whole house wired on the internet.

Should I put in a service call with AT&T? Is re-wiring the house network something they do, or do I have to hire some one outside the company?

Thanks again.

Employee

• 

200 Messages

3 months ago

Att will charge you 149 usd for tech visit and 55 per any additional walljack needing to be installed. As alternative what you can do is bring your bgw210 into your network closet connect it directly to ONT and then you can possibly use existing cable runs to your home while connecting home mesh system to one of them. BGW320 are installed in wiring panels without any issues as well and they do give off a lot more heat compared to bgw210.

4 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks, receding_hairline.

Looks like it's time to upgrade my gateway and relocate it NEAR the network closet. I doubt that the new BGW320 will fit in the actual network closet (Leviton) due to its size. I'll place it on the shelf in this walk-in closet where the network is.

I guess I'll put in a request with AT&T to make this upgrade and wiring change.

Thanks again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.