Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
S

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, March 4th, 2021 12:36 AM

AT&T BGW320 + Orbi RBR50 = slow 100Mbps upload/download connection speeds

Hi all,

I recently had AT&T Fiber Internet installed at my home.

When I connect directly to the AT&T BGW320 via ethernet cable or WiFi, I get very impressive upload/download speeds (>700Mbps).

However, when I try to connect my Orbi RBR50 to the BGW320, any WiFi or ethernet connection to the Orbi is limited to 100Mbps.

I have tried enabling the IP Passthrough setting on the BGW320 but that didn't make a difference.

Anything else I should try?

Thanks.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I used the Cat8 cable provided by AT&T to connect port 1 on the BGW320 to the WAN / Internet port on the Orbi RBR50.

Scholar

• 

3.7K Messages

3 years ago

Ahh try one of the other ports. Port 1 is a 5 Gbps / 2.5 / 1 Gbps / and 100 Mbps port and your Orbi may not like it for auto speed detection.

Once we confirm you are getting 1 Gbps from one of the other BGW320 ports (2-4) we can work on setting on the BGW320 and your Orbi to see if we can get it to sync faster than 100 Mbps.

Dave

Scholar

• 

3.7K Messages

3 years ago

Small edit to add there is no benefit to using port 1 on your BGW320 since your Orbi is limited to 1 Gbps on it's WAN and LAN ports.

Dave

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

Try a different cable. Go into the bgw320 and orbi settings, see if the internet ports are set to auto or 100. 

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have tried different cables.  Ports are set to Auto.

Scholar

• 

3.7K Messages

3 years ago

Please use port 2, 3, 4 on your BGW320 and set it to 1G full duplex. Leave MDI-x set to Auto MDI-X for now to eliminate auto negotiation of speed. There is no option to manage your WAN port on your Orbi.

When you mention that you have tried multiple cables are they all from the same source and can you verify that they have 8 wires in the RJ-45 connector?

Dave

Scholar

• 

3.7K Messages

3 years ago

An addition update: are you resetting your Orbi when you are swapping the Ethernet cables to the Orbi WAN port?

The BGW320 is good about sensing a connection and renegotiating the speed.

Dave

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.