Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Dec 29, 2017 2:31 AM

AP isolation Or client isolation on an Arris NVG589?

I have the Arris NVG589 from ATT.  Recently, we were erroneously unplugged from a hub, and the system was reset as part of the troubleshooting.  Since then I have been unable to re-setup my Chromecast devices.  They will attache to the network but devices on the network will not communicate with them.  The forums all tell me to disable the AP or Client isolation.  I cannot find this setting on the NVG589.

Does anyone else and this NVG589 and have similar issues or know of steps to correct the issue?

Thanks

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I had a similar problem with the  Arris NVG589 .  I run SSH on several of my computers at home and after a power outage my network became awry.  SSH would not work, I could not even ping to local computers on the network or discover what else was on the network using the command line.

In any case, the solution requires AP Isolation to be turned off.  Since there isn't an easy way to telnet into the router I found I could troubleshoot the router to make the fix work.  It took over 90 minutes to figure this out so I wanted to share the solution -

I uploaded a picture with brief instructions how to do it -  https://imgur.com/a/tLBIGJ7

Detailed instructions below

1. Navigate to your router in your web browser.  Type in the following into your web browser 192.168.1.254

2.  That should take you to the router (if your router address is different, check the actual router sticker and see what address it may be (it should start with 192.x.x.x))

3. Navigate to "Home Network" and then under home network click "Wi-Fi"

4. You may have to enter a password to get into this, the password should be on the same sticker mentioned above on your router.

5. Go to "Guest SSID" and click "Enable". 

6. Under network access select "Internet & Home LAN"

7. Enter in a "Guest Network Name" and "Password" -  these won't be used in the future so don't spend much time making up a username and password unless you do want a Guest Network setup

8. Click "Save"

9. After this is completed, it should take you to a "Wi-Fi Warning" screen letting you know that changes made may disrupt your Wi-Fi.  Click "Continue" and your router should reboot. 

10.  At this point you should have no issues with your local area network anymore.  I would suggest going back to the Wi-Fi page and turning off the Guest SSID if you are not going to use it.

I hope this helped out and saved some time.  Tips appreciated.

Bitcoin: 3H3d2pEyQpc1JpL8hJ7U7gz8oXAxjiYB3F

Litecoin: MBU7Uq3hi2ZhRL5X1qbpUJcnaEYMpFt3vL

Brand User
ATTHelp

Administrator

• 

111.6K Messages

2 years ago

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

True that this has worked in the past.  Every time the power goes off, however, I need to do it again and sometimes it does not work. 

Most recently the MAC address is listed in my filter list as allowed but the chromecast device will attach to the network but not to the internet.

Please suggest an alternative.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 months ago

Finally! This mystery has been solved. You disable AP isolation (a/k/a access point isolation or privacy separator) by creating a guest network that you never intend to use, just so that you can set it to "Internet and LAN."

My Brother multifunction printer would not connect to the iOS Brother app because of this glitch.

I also went into the iPhone app, deleted the printer, then added it back manually by IP address. I reserved an IP address for the device by going to the router config web page, Home Network > IP Allocation.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…