Anyone else have a problem with band steering and the equipment?
I got my "gig" speed fiber line installed about a month ago and I have had nothing but problems with it. On the first modem/router, all of my devices would get stuck on the 2.4 band and would never come off of it unless you manually switch back to 5 or reboot the device, which is quite annoying. So they replaced it with my current modem/router which is a BGW210-700. This does the exact same thing. So what I did was change the SSID's to WifiName2.4 and 5. Now all of my wireless devices and occasionally my wired devices (only a few times) have a download of ~125 Mbps and an upload of less than 1 Mbps. I have tried everything short of a factory reset of the modem/router and nothing improves the situation. I have spent almost all of my weekends for the past month trying to fix this WiFi. I only have about 4 or 5 devices connected wirelessly and evenly split amongst the two bands. I have idea what else to do but the frustration has gotten to the point where I want to cancel this service, switch back to Comcast (can't believe I'm saying that) and go back to using my own equipment.