Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
mpokane's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 4:52 AM

Alternative to Pace 5268AC for Gigapower service

Hi, I was told by the AT&T tech that higher WiFi speeds can be attained from the Gigapower service if I install a Netgear or other like high performance WiFi device in line with the Pace 5268AC gateway set in bridge mode. Is the statement valid and, if so, what improvement will I likely see? Currently I am seeing download speed @ ~400Mbps on the AppleTV. 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Compare the potential maximum speed difference between a four cylinder and an eight cylinder vehicle. The eight cylinder is much faster right? Consider putting both on a freeway during the rush hour. Going to a higher speed does not necessarily mean you will attain it. The 5268ac WiFi attains one of the highest WiFi speeds available, 802.11c, but you have to have devices that support 802.11c to achieve any noticeable increase in WiFi speed. Remember, your WiFi speed is only as fast as your connection speed to the internet. Additionally, multiple devices video streaming from the internet and gaming will suck available bandwidth to minimum levels.

My AppleTV is connected via Ethernet to a 5268ac on a 24 Mbps internet connection. iTunes movies are always in HD but with Netflix their server gets busy once and a while and the picture quality suffers.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Being this is a fiber forum, and many of us have gigabit, I dont think your reply is especially accurate. Depending on your service level, yes you can get faster WiFi speeds with a third party router, if the other device supports 4x4 80mhz mimo. Cell phones, and other like devices probably wont see much benefit. A high end laptop, or a desktop may however. I have a Ubquity Unifi AP which is capable of near gigabit speeds over WiFi, but on my cellphone I get the same ~300Mbps speeds as I did on the Pace.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@CoryDS wrote:

Being this is a fiber forum, and many of us have gigabit, I dont think your reply is especially accurate. Depending on your service level, yes you can get faster WiFi speeds with a third party router, if the other device supports 4x4 80mhz mimo. Cell phones, and other like devices probably wont see much benefit. A high end laptop, or a desktop may however. I have a Ubquity Unifi AP which is capable of near gigabit speeds over WiFi, but on my cellphone I get the same ~300Mbps speeds as I did on the Pace.

The owner of this post was inquiring about adding another router downstream from the 5268ac. Right now the only thing faster than 802.11ac (I left out the 'a' previously) is 802.11ad (6.75 Gbps). The Ubquity Unifi AP is a 802.11ac access point and advertises a speed of 1.3 Gbps. 802.11ay (100 Gbps) may come out this year.

High speed WiFi is fantastic for a Home Network but if the devices on the Home Network and the internet connection cannot deliver at that speed all you've got is bragging rights.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Appears the Pace 5268ac meets the 4x4 MIMO spec.

https://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/5268ac.pdf
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.