Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
WiFimike's profile

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, January 14th, 2024 2:00 AM

Airties becoming obsolete

Did anyone else get this message from ATT. Does this mean my BGW320 won’t receive updates except security updates? And that they are banning my Airties but I can rent new ones from them? I love my fiber but the way my house is laid out I need a couple extenders. It’s crazy the way these monoplane allowed to operate 

View Online

Ver en Español
Account Number Ending: xxxx

Important information about your account

Hello,

In February 2024, your BGW320 Wi-Fi gateway will start using new software to provide updates to your Wi-Fi extenders. Unfortunately, this means your current Wi-Fi extenders (model 4921) and BGW320 gateway will stop receiving certain updates. Your extenders and gateway will still receive important security updates but will no longer receive future firmware updates and feature enhancements. These changes also mean your extenders may stop working entirely if they ever get disconnected or turned off.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience, but we’ve got options to help you keep receiving updates. To learn how to get our newest extenders, go to att.com/wi-fi/extender or call us at 1-800-288-2020.

Thanks,
AT&T

To ensure the delivery of AT&T emails to your inbox, please add [email scrubbed] to your email address book or safe senders list.

Privacy Policy.

© 2024 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.

AT&T, 208 South Akard St. Dallas, Texas 75202

A2347785 | A000000010

(Edited to remove personal information)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

444 Messages

5 months ago

It is poorly written. What is sounds like it means is:

In February 2024, your BGW320 Wi-Fi gateway will start using new software which changes the associated internal Wi-Fi mesh / extender functionality which talks to AT&T's Airties extenders. As a result, updates to older extenders (e.g., 4920 and 4921) will no longer be provided and they may also stop working entirely if they ever get disconnected or turned off.

I suspect as part of this, the mechanism for sharing the Wi-Fi credentials between the devices is changing and that is why they are making the statement about being disconnected or turned off.

The BGW320 will continue to be supported with firmware updates, just not for connection to 4920 nor 4921 extenders.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

5 months ago

You can always purchase your own extender(s) or mesh system, there are many… read the reviews. 

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wireless-range-extenders

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

5 months ago

I read that as the gateway won’t get extender updates. Do yourself a favor and get a mesh Wi-Fi system. 

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

5 months ago

I meant to say monopolies 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

5 months ago

Do those things actually work?

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

5 months ago

I’ve had my extenders for quite some time now and though they’re not without issues I’ve found that if you leave them alone they do an okay job. That being said, what would be a good mesh system to buy?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

5 months ago

Most brands are good. I personally own an asus xt8 system of 2. Set a budget and start from there. Try looking at Best Buy type stores. You might find someone there who can help a little. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 months ago

i got the same email - they sold us the extenders just less than 3 years ago and now send an email they may not support them - but one can buy their new extenders and pay a recurring fee of $10/month  - this is just plain and simply a new revenue source for AT&T and to take advantage of their customers - they already charge a high amount for the internet service but to now make the extenders also a monthly fee is way out of line ---ideally if I buy their internet and they have  good router - for a 2900 sq foot home - I should not need an extender, but to help we bought 2 and now they play this new game of greed.  This is a great way to push a customer away and have us consider alternatives

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

4 months ago

I disagree.  If the ISP can provide a viable service that works, they sure can charge for it.  I tried Airties when it was first released but returned the product as it didn’t do the job.  I blame the gateway’s inferior design to be the root cause of the problem.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 months ago

You pay a monthly significant fee for the internet service to start.  That is recurring revenue.   I have zero issue in buying outright the extender…but paying $10 a month for their additional recurring revenue is where it’s obscene and greedy.   I pay for 1G and now because their gateway is inferior to cover 2900 sq feet they want us to pay more monthly.  So in the long term we pay greater and more than the cost of the extender itself 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.