For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
S

• 

14 Messages

Wednesday, May 5th, 2021 1:13 PM

AirTies 4971 Ethernet Backhaul?

Does the 4971 support wired, Ethernet backhaul? I understand Ethernet can be used to pair the device to the router. That's a different use case from wired backhaul, which reduces WiFi traffic and latency.

Also, is the 4971 the only current WiFi extender available on the AT&T store? It's not clear which model I'm adding to my shopping cart.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

If it's showing as wired, and you have wired backhaul, I would interpret that to mean it is coming to the Gateway via the backhaul and is thus connected to the Extender by Wi-Fi.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

As far as I know, AT&T is still selling the 4920 series extenders.  

In my experience, the setup for the AirTies extenders has always been done wirelessly.  Once setup, then you could connect them to the Gateway via Ethernet to use Ethernet backhaul vs Wireless.

(edited)

• 

14 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks, @JefferMC .

It seems like AT&T is offering the 4971, but not sure where to buy it.

https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1231556/

4971 supports WiFi 6 (as does the BGW320 router), but the 4920 does not. Looking to future-proof my setup, which really only means giving it 3-5 years before another standard eclipses it.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

So I see.  Learn something new every day.  The device pictured at 

https://www.att.com/buy/accessories/internet-equipment/att-smart-wi-fi-extender-white.html

does not look at all like the 492x series, but does look like the pictures in the 4971 setup guide, so that's a plus.  OTOH, in the Overview it indicates compatibility with the NVG5x9 series, which the 4971 does not work with.

I'm going to point this out to my AT&T contacts and see if we can get them to clear things up on that page (at the very least, if it is the 4971, remove the NVG5x9 from the Overview).

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

That way you will be able to upgrade to the latest versions as need without purchasing an endless number of $49.99 devices that are obsolete every couple of years.

That would be the AT&T take on it.  My take is that if the service is $5/month regardless of the number of extenders you have, then that might be a deal.  Otherwise, I could buy a $49.99 every year and be ahead of the $5/month idea.

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

No it would be $5 for the AT&T Smart Home Extender service not per unit.

Dave

• 

14 Messages

3 years ago

$5/mo. * 12 = $60 per year

1 * WiFi extender = $49.99 forever

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

Not forever.  Wi-Fi radios do seem to have a life span measured in years (depending on power used, etc.).  And protocols have a limited lifespan (802.11a and 802.11b are pretty much useless now, and 802.11g is getting that way).

But I'm on your side on this, I'd rather just buy them and throw them away when they become useless or obsolete.  Only if I had a huge ranch house that needed 3 extenders would I stop to consider this offering.

The extender offered on the site is the 4721.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

The word I get is that the 4971 does support wired backhaul (direct and daisy chain).  So, if you can get one, there you go.

• 

14 Messages

3 years ago

That's great news!

Like Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.