AT&T Community Forums
Pooky74

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Fri, Oct 23, 2020 2:38 AM

Airties 4921 minimum safe distance in a room

Hello. 
I am looking for some guidance on what is the recommended minimum distance to place a Wifi extender ( Airties 4921) away from people in a room to minimize the exposure to electromagnetic field. 
The information in the box only says 20 cm from the radiator to the body. But  I wonder what is the safe distance as guidance to install in a room or office ? 

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

20cm is about 8 inches so I'd shoot for maybe 1.5 feet, even tho I don't think there is much danger beyond the 20cm.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.5K Messages

a month ago

The safest distance is not to use one.... reduce your usage of internet devices and keep all devices in one area of the house near where the gateway is located.

This can apply to all electronic devices from tvs, radios, Alexis, phones, tablets, computers, microwaves, treadmill, etc. If it needs power from ac or battery it emits EMI.

But the science based answer...

https://educateemf.com/what-is-a-safe-distance-from-a-wifi-router/

4. Refrain from Signal Boosters
Avoid high-powered WiFi routers and signal boosters. Some provide a signal for up to hundreds of feet. The strong signal means more EMF radiation exposure.

Likewise, signal boosters are created to expand the network across your home. But, this means more radiation. So, it’s advisable to minimize your coverage and devices.

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13K Messages

a month ago

@my thoughts Nice article. I just may have to take out the 'ol calculator and run some numbers.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Asterion13

• 

26 Messages

a month ago

ATT has an app called Smart home manager that helps you out in situations just for this, it helps you by scanning all your wifi networks and traffic inside and will determine what would be the best area for your air tie placement!  

The app is free, just log in with your uverse account for internet and it will talk to the modem and do a self diagnostic of all your devices and tell you what a technician would normally see in regards to wifi coverage!! 

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a month ago

@Asterion13   Looks like you read the Subject line but not the first line of Pooky74's post where it was made clear that Pooky is looking for placement guidelines for better safety for people, to lower the risks from EMF radiation.

Pooky74

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

a month ago

I am looking for best practices and recommendations. Hopefully someone has taking real EMF measurements to share with use

Get started...

Ask a new question