Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
OleGeez's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, July 9th, 2017 11:27 AM

Aerating lawn post fiber install

I just had fiber installed for my home and the fiber was recently buried diagonally across my lawn.  The installer told me the line was buried 4", but I do have a lot of tree roots.  As the lawn is fescue, it needs aeration once per year.  How can my lawn be safely aerated with the buried fiber?

Jack

192kHz

Employee

• 

540 Messages

6 years ago

I see a LOT of service wires getting destroyed by lawn aeration.

Does the company that will be doing the aerating provide utility location?

See also this similar thread in regards to getting AT&T service wires located:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Locating-Underground-Cable/td-p/4791723

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

My front lawn is only about 1000 square feet.  The salesman who sold me the plan told me the line would be buried ~12 inches and I would not need to be worried about aeration.   This is going to be a major aggravation.

For those who have not purchased yet, I suggest you decide in advance where you want the fiber buried.  I wonder if AT&T would re-route my fiber.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I just went out to closely examine the fiber installation my lawn.  There were multiple areas where the fiber was fully exposed including, unbelievably, a spot where the fiber was installed OVER a hose which was lying on the lawn!  Any depth of aeration would clearly place the fiber at risk.  I wonder who would be responsible and what the cost would be for a severed cable.

I had an old collection of aluminum tent pegs and I marked the installation path with them - plan to mark the area with some type of colored yarn connecting the pegs when aeration is needed.

IMO AT&T is badly in need of guidelines for installation of fiber from the street to the lawn.  Most importantly it should include consultation with the homeowner. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.