Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
mpaoperator's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, April 4th, 2024 11:10 PM

Adding a SIP phone

We just switched to gigabit fiber at our main office which has 4 physical (POTS) phone lines. 2 lines are connected to the modem (I think a BGW320) and two are connected to a second box plugged into the modem. We'd now like to get the service at our satellite office, which uses Polycom SIP phones via Ethernet, using a SIP box from Comcast. How would we use the SIP phones with ATT's service? How could we add SIP phones at our main office service?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 months ago

The phones in question are Polycom VVX 310, about $30-50. They're like the fancy office phones of a decade ago with lots of buttons and an LCD display. They have two Ethernet jacks, so you can plug one into the wall (back to the central switch and router or to a suitable PBX like Asterisk) and a second port that you can plug your computer into. So it's basically an integrated 3-port switch (with one port going internally to the SIP phone). The buttons and display support the usual PBX functions. (They don't PROVIDE the functions. They just provide a UI for them. Some kind of PBX is still needed. That could be a small box, which is what the office has now, I think an Edgewater one, or a service in the cloud.)

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 months ago

@ATTHelp I find the ATT corporate structure quite confusing. We're buying static IPs and four phone lines which seem a business service. I suspect ATT has more than one business division and it seems like we were dealing with the more corporate one before and a more SOHO-oriented one now. The previous gateway was a 1U rack unit while the replacement looks like the consumer router I have at home, plus a separate ATA to get more phone lines. Part of my problem is not even knowing where to ask the question. There's more than one forum as you point out, and trying to talk to someone over the phone means a long wait on hold. (And I prefer the text format anyway, where I can organize my thoughts better and easily quote back to my superiors.) 

BTW, I wanted to post what plan we had when I started, but the website told me that it was broken and couldn't reveal that. I figured the first step in adding a feature is knowing exactly what we had, and I couldn't look that up! It's that kind of thing that makes the ATT websites incredibly frustrating. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

2 months ago

Ours are Polycom IP560.

Former Employee

• 

22.5K Messages

2 months ago

If this is a business account, you should be posting in the business forum, not the residential forum.

if have (4) line VOIP service with standard gateway, the gateway supports (2) ATT PHONE (4 pin connections) with a separate device (from memory an IAD or Intergrated Access Device) which plugs into one of the Ethernet ports and has the ability to add three more phones lines similar to a switch.  These were installed by the CORE techs (legacy DSL, POTS) not the Uverse techs side of the house. 

The IAD is an EdgeMarc 250…

AT&T Collaborate quick reference EdgeMarc 250 Integrated Access Device

https://asecare.att.com/tutorials/att-collaborate-quick-reference-edgemarc-250-integrated-access-device/?product=AT&T%20Collaborate/

edit…

https://asecare.att.com/tutorials/att-collaborate-quick-reference-polycom-vvx-300-series-phones/?product=AT&T%20Collaborate

This guide contains the key information you need to get started using your Polycom® VVX® 300-series (300, 301, 310, 311) phone with the AT&T CollaborateSM service. The phones look the same, but the VVX 300 and 301 have 10/100 Ethernet ports and the VVX 310 and 311 have Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) ports.

Collaborate is a Voice over IP (VoIP) system that transports calls over the AT&T IP network rather than over the traditional public switched telephone network. You can use Collaborate exactly as you use a traditional phone system.

For more detailed information about using your phone, see the Polycom VVX Business Media Phones User Guide, available from Polycom. Note that not all Polycom features are available with Collaborate.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 months ago

It looks like we have "AT&T Phone Unlimited North America". I don't see anything about "Collaborate" but that does sound like what's needed to use the VOIP phones. I'll read further...

Further reading indicates that Collaborate was discontinued a few years ago and replaced with Office@Hand. I haven't figured out how this relates to what we have. https://asecare.att.com/product/care-support-for-ringcentral-office-at-hand-from-att/

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.