AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Dec 26, 2016 1:58 AM

5ghz cant connect

I'm sick of calling customer service and no one can help.  I have my guest network setup on 2.4Ghz only.  I have my primary network on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz (same SSID).  My new iphone 7, two ipads and an xbox one will only connect to the guest network.  It will not connect to primary.  I've tried separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5.0 and I can connect 2.4, but not 5.0...unless I'm on the phone with customer service.  The second I disconnect with customer service, I can't connect.  This is very frustrating. 

Responses

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@_at_t_sux

Apple devices will only connect to the stronger signal which is usually the 2.4 GHz unless they determine there is a need for the 5 GHz. Also, since you are using two different SSIDs, have you told the Apple device to forget the 2.4 GHz SSID network?

I cannot speak to the xbox.

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

4 years ago

Hello @_at_t_sux

Your first problem is the same SSID, thats never a good idea. The second problem is what @ApexRon mentioned above, you need your other devices to forget the networks you do not want them to use.

While 2.4ghz is slower, it will reach a longer distance and will generally always show a stronger signal than your 5ghz (unless you are standing right next to the wireless modem). 5ghz is faster, but its not good at penetrating other materials like walls. The point of all of that is that I would suggest that if you can't get a good strong 5ghz signal everywhere in your house, then your roaming devices should keep both SSID's if you want to have a stable wifi experience on them.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a question" button. Have email issues? Contact the Digital Assistance Center at 877-267-2988 and you can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
jmagnusson

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same issue !! 2 yrs later and I cannot connect any iDevices or Macs on 5Ghz on ATT Uverse PACE 5268A. I even shut off 2.4 and still cannot connect. Did factory reset on router and its at 11.1 and my iphone too and its at 12.1. I did a wireless capture form my MAC and see malformed beacon for ATT default SSID. So now what ????

jmagnusson

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

2 years ago

No thanks to ATT but I resolved it by not using the Pace AC5862 wireless . Turned it off.

Those who have this device and have wireless connectivity or coverage issues . I suggest getting a new wireless AP or mesh AP’s.

Bought Netgear Orbi tri band AC2200 with one satellite was simple to connect and is -10 hotter and now whole house 3200 sq fr has solid coverage . My idevices connect on 5ghz too 🙂 best $169 spent in a long time !!!!

Get started...

Ask a new question