For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
randomuser's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, January 26th, 2017 8:08 PM

5268AC, Static IPs and 3rd Party Router: Cascaded Router vs Public:Fixed LAN IP Address Allocation?

Hello, I run my home network behind a 3rd party router and I have a webserver etc. so I have a static IP address allocation from AT&T.

Can someone please help explain the differences between using a cascaded router configuration vs. assigning Public/Fixed LAN mappings (as per below)?

Untitled2.jpg

What I have seems to work fine (except only one static IP is assignable per device). My understanding is that the casceded router option would let me use more of the static IPs with the downstream router, but is that the only benefit? If I only plan on using a single static IP, is there some other performance or compatability reason that would mean I should look at cascaded router in more detail?

Thanks,

Nick.

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@randomuser

It is my understanding that for someone to initiate a connection to your webserver it would be best if you had a static address from AT&T but I further understand that there are dynamic DNS services that make having a static IP address a moot point. In any case, knowing what little I know about the technical capability of the 5268ac, using a third party router would be best as would placing it in the DMZ of the 5268ac. Realize that not all third party routers behave well in the DMZ. I would say that only your webserver should be attached to the third party router.

To enable other devices to use the internet, I would install a second third party router that uses NAT and is cascaded off of the 5268ac.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.