Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
J

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, December 12th, 2021 12:51 AM

2gig fiber, why does passthrough never get true bandwidth

2 gig fiber,,have read all the forums  and no one from ATT never gives anyone an answer.

BGW320   showing over 2gigs coming into wall to the gateway on Smart Home App

I have ASUS XT8 mesh set up in passthrough exactly right as ATT says and the connection is up and fine

I have a 2.5 gig wan port on my ASUS plugged into the port 1/5 gig port on the BGW320 with a CAT8 cable

Logged into router and running speedtests i cap at 1.5 gigs if lucky. I am losing over 500megs just to the router using the 2.5 gig ports and CAT8 in passthrough

Also  wifi the BGW320 was hitting just over 700megs and now the ASUS  450-500 megs

why is the fiber connection losing bandwidth when set to passthrough

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

You're sorta in uncharted territory here.  You must be in NC. 

As a test, what happens when you plug your computer into Port 1 on the BGW and run a speedtest?  At this point I'm not even sure if speedtest servers can push 2gig or more so maybe test using a big download like a Linux distribution file.

I have "only" a 1 gig connection and my Netgear router gets the normal 940/940 when used with IP Passthrough although I'm on the BGW210.

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

The at home smart app runs a speed test to your att gateway it gets 2513 down and up.  Logged into the gateway run Speedtest on it 2450.  ASUS xt8 , in pass through, Speedtest from the router 1450 to 1600   I never test with laptop, always right from the gateway or my router.  There is this on going discussion how you lose some bandwidth on pass through if on fiber.  ATT has never offered the reason why as I am not the first to notice it

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

Gotcha.  So all of the speedtests you run are running from your gateway or router, never from a computer. 

The app and gateway tests are the same process, a connection from the gateway to a local AT&T server and is not influenced by Internet issues outside of AT&T's network.  The speedtest from your ASUS is going whoknowswhere so it's not shocking that it could be slower.

So by hooking your computer to the BGW and running a speedtest to a close by server that's consistent, you'll get a baseline.  Then plug everything back in the way you had it and connect the laptop to the ASUS and run the test to the same server and let's see what happens.

BTW....what laptop do you have that has an Ethernet port that's faster than a gig?

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

I doubt my laptop does.  My ASUS has a 2.5 gig wan port I am passing through. Both tests are going to same att server to test speed.  

here is test from router followed at the gateway 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

So you don't have any device even capable of going over 940Mbps but you're unhappy that your router is going 50% faster than any device you have?

Again, too many variables on the ASUS speedtest and until you can hook something you can control where it tests from and test connected to the gateway and then connected to the ASUS I'll move along.

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

How do you know the speed test is running to the same AT&T server from your router vs the gateway?  Does it appear in the drop down menu in the router?  Unless you know the IP address of the server you have no way of knowing where its going. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 years ago

I can find Performance tests on the ASUS xt8 showing moderate to good Wi-Fi performance, but it doesn't look like anyone ever measured its full throughput to the Internet.  I'm wondering if the rest of the box can keep up with that 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port.

• 

18 Messages

2 years ago

@

@JefferMC thought I had seen some posts from you in the past about how it seems common that on fiber lots of folks seem to be losing bandwidth on pass through

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

2 years ago

I have noticed quite a few of those reports in the past, but not as many lately.  And some had issues while others did not.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 years ago

I’d start looking at the ASUS settings. Look at QOS settings, dns settings, etc. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.