Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Texnician's profile

7 Messages

Saturday, March 30th, 2024 7:54 PM

2 different camera systems not working properly after fiber install.

I had AT&T copper with a BGW210 and all was well until I upgraded to fiber and they put in the BGW320 a couple days ago.  My Lorex DVR and my Bird House IP (unrelated to Lorex system) cameras, although good inside my home network, no longer appear on the internet.  After a long unproductive talk with an AT&T support fella I was told it was the fault of both camera systems and to call them.  Lorex wanted me to run another CAT6 from the router to the DVR and just couldn't cope with my statement that I can see the camera's on my phone app as long as it is connected to my WiFi.  Obviously this is something to do with the new gateway.  Because I'll be traveling soon and because the Bird Box cam has an owl on eggs (my grandchildren "were" watching), it appears that I'm going to have to go back to AT&T copper.  But why?  What is different between the copper and fiber besides the gateway?  Multiple reboots and even a BGW320 factory reset has not resolved this. 

Tutor

• 

444 Messages

2 months ago

How did you see your cameras on the Internet before? Did you point to a specific web site? Did you use a specific IP address?

Did you set up pinholes / port forwarding for your cameras on your old gateway? Did you setup the same pinholes on your new gateway?

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

2 months ago

Once upgraded to fiber, the ATT copper service is turned off and no longer available for your address. If desire copper would need to change to your local cable provider, most likely either Comcast or Spectrum. 

7 Messages

2 months ago

Neither camera system uses a specific IP address.  I never setup "pinholes" or port forwarding but I did try port forwarding with the new router and no good.  Oddly I have a Ring indoor camera I use to watch our dog if we leave her for a weekend and I set it up and it works fine.  But it's a WiFi camera, not direct ethernet... not that that should matter.  The Lorex setup does let me play with DNS server.  I tried these:  68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 but no luck.   I also tried pointing to the BGW320 (192.168.1.254) but nothing.  

7 Messages

2 months ago

Spectrum was my provider until AT&T began installing. I switched to AT&T copper in anticipation of fiber.  I sure would hate to go back to Spectrum but I need these camera's on the internet.  

Tutor

• 

444 Messages

2 months ago

> Neither camera system uses a specific IP address. 

So, you are using a name (e.g., a DDNS name) to access these?

A quick look at a Lorex manual indicates you need to set up port forwarding.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

If your cameras connect out to a server and push video there to be viewed by you, then you won't need port forwarding.

If you connect into to your camera/DVR to watch the video, then you will need some form of port forwarding.

If your cameras can use UPnP to dynamically set up port forwarding, then YOU don't have to setup port forwarding, because they did it.

AT&T's Gateways do not support UPnP for several reasons, probably the largest is that it's a security risk.

If it worked on AT&T VDSL2/ADSL2+ on the BGW210 then it should be able to be made to work on FTTP on the BGW320 using the same exact method.

I don't know if you've noticed this, but your Dynamic Public IP probably changed between VDSL2/ADSL2+ and FTTP.  Did you verify what it is?

7 Messages

2 months ago

It did change, yes.  I notice that of the 4 ethernet ports, these two are static and the others are DHCP.  Is that something I should look into?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

Ports are neither static nor DHCP.  I'm not sure what you mean?  (Ports can automatically set their speed, etc.).

7 Messages

2 months ago

I know DHCP or static shouldn't make a difference but I found a setting in Lorex system to select DHCP and it solved one issue. I had tried deleting the system from my app and reinstalling it.  It would not connect after that.  The Lorex support person that wanted me to run an new CAT6 cable and then gave up on me said I would not be able to connect without internet.  Wrong, selecting DHCP got it back in my app (only on my WiFi).  It's still not visible on the internet.  You were correct about that JefferMC.  I'm back to square one.  

7 Messages

2 months ago

Well a partial success, yea!   I noticed I had the wrong "needed by device" selected in port forwarding.  The Lorex cams now see the internet.  But sadly I cannot get the Green Backyard IP bird house cam to forward.  Their VMS Windows app shows it to be using port 34567 but forwarding it with that port with TCP/UDP, and using the correct needed by device is not working.  I'm so close to a perfect world yet so far.  I'll be contacting them tomorrow.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.