Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
mmp1964's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, May 18th, 2024 5:55 PM

1GB not worth it for me

I recently upgraded from 500 to 1gb and found that it is not worth it for me, because I cannot get a strong enough WiFi signal in my office.  I was maxing at around 450 down, which isn't really any better than it was before.  Unfortunately I can't move the router, and my Wife would most definitely not let me run an ethernet cable from the Living Room into the Office.  So I guess the point of this post is - make sure you understand the limitations of your location in terms of WiFi signal before upgrading.   And yes, I spent a bunch of time on a chat session w/ someone from AT&T who was very nice and did some thing but none of it mattered.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

1 month ago

@mmp1964  Speed has very little to do with WiFi coverage. The AT&T gateways are not the most robust in terms of WiFi. A lot of folks will purchase a second router (usually a mesh WiFi system) and use that router and satellite(s) to extend the WiFi coverage. A lot of systems offer the option for wired backhaul (preferred) or wireless backhaul, which does work very well in a lot of cases.

450Mbps down via WiFi is not bad at all. Considerably more than enough to stream. There are free apps that you can use to check WiFi signal strength in your home so you could place a satellite or AP to receive maximum signal from the router. WiFi speeds will never match wired speeds so it's to be expected that WiFi will be a bit "slower" than wired.

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

I recently upgraded from 500 to 1gb and found that it is not worth it for me, because I cannot get a strong enough WiFi signal in my office. 

What Wi-Fi client device do you have in your office? It may be that you don't have a new enough Wi-Fi device that supports Wi-Fi 6 (802..1ax). You could ask higher a low voltage tech to provide an Ethernet connection from the current location of your AT&T Gateway to your office.

What AT&T Gateway do you currently have installed?

Dave

ACE - Expert

• 

32.5K Messages

1 month ago

@mmp1964 

Raising your internet doesn't improve your WiFi. Perhaps your WiFi devices cannot make use of the higher speed.

What devices are you using by WiFi?

What model is your Gateway?

Are you connecting to the Gateway's WiFi or another router or access point? 

AT&T's Gateways are known for having limited WiFi capability, which is why many use their own router or wireless access point to maximize their WiFi. However, depends on your devices if perhaps they are already at their wireless limit and can't get faster anyway (other than being wired of course).

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

1 month ago

I have an M2 Mac Mini, which supports WiFi 6E.  I used the Signal Strength tool on the smart app and I can see that once I walk past the wall in my office, the signal goes from “Strong” to “Fair” so that is the culprit.

My Gateway is a BGW320.

I get that increasing speed would not help signal strength but I thought it would at least be a little faster.  

I started down this path because I got a Ring camera and the feed was buffering quite a bit.  But I suppose there are multiple points of failure in that setup and increasing my speed may not help those issues.

Thanks for you suggestions - much appreciated!

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

Well your M2 Mac Mini is part of the problem. The Wi-Fi antenna package is located in the bottom cover. Do you have many Thunder port devices connected to your M2 Mac Mini? They also impact the Wi-Fi capabilities.

I got a Ring camera and the feed was buffering quite a bit.

Your buffering is based on the Wi-Fi and distance to your ring devices and not the speed of your Internet connection. Do you have your Ring devices isolated on their own SSID for 2.4 Ghz or maybe using the Guest network? Both options will reduce an interference from other devices on the same Channel.

Dave

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

1 month ago

AT&T combined the two SSIDs yesterday - I could uncombine them.  

I wanted to get a fast USB WiFi adapter so I could position it closer to the router, but for whatever reason you can’t do that anymore with Macs.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

1 month ago

You might want to consider heeding the advice already given and look to replace the BGW’s WiFi with something competent.  

ACE - Expert

• 

32.5K Messages

1 month ago

I would suggest your own WiFi router. Something that can make use of the 6GHz band since your devices support up to WiFi 6e. Though you can't run Ethernet down the hall, perhaps the new router could be more optimally placed in the room it is in to give you better coverage. I've got an old WAP (though listed as such apparently it was a full router) for WiFi 5 and getting ready to replace with WiFi 6 (maybe 6e to future proof but depends on pricing).

Another thought is a powerline adapter. Turn your electrical wiring into a wired connection. May not be best like directly wired by Ethernet, but often can be better than your WiFi. There are even versions with WiFi to give the best of both worlds. I use one at home because the location doesn't get good WiFi from the router and I'm not running 100 foot cable or more along the walls and ceilings just for a single computer.

But yeah, increasing your internet is not going to make your WiFi better.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

1 month ago

@mmp1964  To repeat:

1. Purchase a second router. Ideally a mesh WiFi system and place the gateway is pass-through mode if you want to use the router for all of the heavy lifting and WiFi.

2. Try a WiFi extender. Sometimes they work well enough to fix the "problem".

3. Try a Powerline Adapter to use your internal house wiring for a wired connection to the router. They have worked but there are issues with them, mostly due to the condition of the internal wiring, what is on the circuit, etc.

4. I would use the Guest Network, renamed to something else, and give it its own password separate from the your primary network and point all of your IoT devices (Ring cameras, printer, etc) to that network which is usually 2.4GHz only.

I don't think your MacMini is the problem. We have lots of Mac laptops, of various vintages (even a very old MDD tower) and none of them have WiFi issues. They are just limited by their internal radios. Our WiFi system is WiFi 6 capable but not all of our devices are but none of them have WiFi issues.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

1 month ago

Thank you.  Would you consider Amazon Echo devices IoT?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.