Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
b_mihai's profile

15 Messages

Thursday, February 29th, 2024 3:36 PM

Waiving Unjust Dispatch Fee

Hello,

I am writing to express my profound disappointment and frustration regarding a recent experience with your customer service and technical support teams. On February 20th, I proactively reached out to your customer service at 800-288-2020, voicing a concern about exposed fiber cables near my home, which I feared could present a significant security risk. I provided a clear explanation, emphasizing the potential for these cables to be tampered with, which could disrupt my home security system - a critical issue I hoped your team would take seriously.

The customer service agent assured me that, given the nature of the assessment, any associated fees would be waived. This assurance was the sole reason I felt comfortable proceeding with the request for service.

However, the outcome was not only unhelpful but has now resulted in an unwarranted 'Dispatch fee' of $99. The technicians who visited could not address the issue, citing it as a builder's responsibility and left the cables exposed, without offering any interim solution. Their inability to provide assistance was disappointing, but being charged for a service that wasn't rendered is unacceptable.

I have since attempted to resolve this issue through your customer service channels, only to be informed that it is beyond their capacity to help and that only a "voice experts" team can address my concerns regarding the fee waiver.

This situation has left me feeling both angry and helpless. The lack of accountability and support is alarming, especially considering the potential safety implications of the exposed cables. I am reaching out to the community here for support and to ask: Is it reasonable for these cables to be left exposed, and should I be bearing the cost for attempting to rectify a safety concern?

I appreciate any advice or support you can offer on this matter.

Thank you.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

2 months ago

Well, it's pretty obvious that those conduits as well as the electrical conduits were provided by the builder and that's the way they were presented to the people who are/were to use them. Given what was provided for communications access, by the owner/builder, I don't really see where the installer had a lot of choice in the matter. I see no safety issue they did the best they could by running the lines behind the electrical conduit. Sloppy yes, safety hazard no. My personal belief is you shouldn't have been charged for a dispatch for that, but than I don't work for AT&T.

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

2 months ago

Your building has been configured that way for years, from original construction based upon several indicators… likely phone (copper) wiring was ran through the conduits.

When the building was set for fiber deployment, a FST (fiber service terminal) was placed on the side of building and appears to need to go left or right of the electrical panels. If the builder / electrical contractor would have placed three on one side leaving a several feet gap before placing the next three could have provided a space to have termination point above the conduit OR if they would have install conduit for each location away from the electrical.

As is could be neater but still exposed to animals or anyone desire to damage (cut) the line(s).

Regardless what was said on the phone the about waiving fee they indicated there would be a fee.

If the individual wrote the tech appointment as Dispatch On Demand (DOD) there is an automatic $99 service charge. The fee is billed when the tech closes the job dispatched on, as your service was working (no problems) I would expect this to have been a DOD normally used for when customer refuses to troubleshoot or request relocation of equipment or wiring. No signature required as pre approved by scheduling the appointment.

The other type of dispatch is DTP or Dispatch To Premise, this type of dispatch can be billable but that is determined by the tech based upon what they find, this requires customer signature to approve billing, if customer refuses to sign, the tech notes so but the charge still occurs, example is customer pet or child damages the fiber fiber jack or run.

A non billable charge is generally an issue outside the residence, not caused by family example is high winds cause tree damage which snaps the aerial fiber line from pole to house. 

If which to discuss the bill must call 800-288-2020 and request billing. The tech and techs manager cannot change this, only billing. 

Recap, suspect DOD which is billable unless issue is outside the residence… as service was working and request concerns wiring and possible moving the fiber this is a billable charge. If this was a single family home and tech could provide a different path… billable. As tech could not provide a different path still billable as the tech was dispatched, drove, and determined non solution, ran test… if from time of dispatch to close took two hours… that is two hours could have been spent performing another install or repair. 

Just my thoughts, a retired ATT tech.

15 Messages

2 months ago

@my thoughts - Thank you for your thoughts. I just want to mention this is a new build (1y old) and I agree that the electrical panels could be mounted in a better way.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

2 months ago

I’d still call Att and talk to someone about the matter and see if they’ll waive the fee.  

15 Messages

2 months ago

I did twice. Nobody could do anything...

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

2 months ago

Wow, sad.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.