For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
J

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, April 17th, 2021 6:00 PM

Sales rep LIED to me about rates

I had two door to door sales reps show up, uninvited, on my doorstep and talked to me about switching to AT&T. Joseph volunteered that unlike Time Warner, my rates would not increase every year and I specifically asked him to clarify if that meant the rate wouldn't go up after some sort of trial period and there were no hidden costs that would later pop up. He assured me no, my rates would stay the same and everything was included in that price.  So, I decided to switch to AT&T and Lo and behold, I get my first bill and see on it that the rate he quoted me was good for "$20 off for 12 months." I looked at the sheet he gave to me to see if I missed something and nope....it says nothing on the sheet about that rate being only for 12 months. After a year, I will be paying $75 just for internet (no cable TV packages, no phone service...just flat internet). If I had known this, I would have stayed with Time Warner. I am VERY unhappy with the dishonest sales tactics these uninvited solicitors used to get my business and plan to report it to the BBB.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

3 years ago

AT&T does not do door-to-door solicitation. They were resellers selling AT&T services but independents, not official AT&T employees. Unfortunately, AT&T has little control over their selling tactics.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Well, they were wearing AT&T shirts and had AT&T paperwork and the guy who hooked me up was with AT&T, so they obviously condone it. Am still going to report to BBB.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

I would be unhappy too. Go ahead with the BBB complaint but be aware those door to door sales people are independent resellers, not ATT employees. 

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Well, I just got off the phone with AT&T and they had that guy's information (full name, phone number, and his manager's name) and have contacted the manager about Joseph's sales tactics.  He told me that unfortunately, the rate IS only for a year, and apologized for Joseph lying to me and said it was inappropriate for him to do that, but suggested that I call back when it comes close to the time for the promotional period to end and someone should be able to work with me to find a continuing rate that will work with my budget. If Joseph had told me right from the start that the rate was temporary, but AT&T would work with me in a year to keep it low, I would have still switched, but at least would have been aware and not had an upsetting surprise when I looked at my bill.

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

All NEW customer promotions are available online... 

The D2D outside contractors should not be offering anything that is not offered on the ATT website.

Pricing and promotions change, generally by the quarter... 

You may cancel your service at any time, now or when the promotion expires... I would not expect a big discount after promo expires... maybe $10 a month... there was a recent price increase of $3 per month for non promo accounts. 

Additionally you should have a monthly $10 equipment fee, this is sometimes waived during the first 12 months if order select internet speed and are in select markets. Otherwise the equipment fee is from month 1.

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Well, according to my bill, the $10 equipment fee is already included in the price. Thank you for the invitation to "cancel at any time" I get your message loud and clear that if I don't like it, then I can just leave.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.