AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
M

• 

1 Message

Sun, May 9, 2021 12:22 AM

Price Increase after 1 Year.

I switched to ATT because I'm a senior trying to save money and I knew my rates would go up after 1 yr. but not 30%.  That is outrageous.  No industry increases prices that much in a year.  Does anyone have a phone/internet/TV provider with reasonable service prices? Maybe if the ATT's of the world lost a lot of customers maybe they would think about LOYALTY to existing customers vs. just getting new customers.  They even have a LOYALTY Dept. but they can't help you.  

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.7K Messages

2 years ago

How much was your discount during the past year?

The same amount that your service rates went to when the promotion expired?

If yes, you knew what the price was going to be after 12 months... 

Should be no surprises... if had $20 off, then price increased $20 

Plus another $3 from the announcement months ago of price increase after promo expired, thus a $23 increase? Less than $1 per day.

It would help to have the actual numbers referencing. 

An example would be $50 promo PLUS $10 gateway fee for total of $60 for 12 months is now $83? The $20 discount plus $3.

$3 increase announced Jan 15, 2021

https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1260426/

Heads up! We’re updating our prices for Internet service1 as we continue to improve your internet experience. The monthly rate for customers with Everyday Simplified Pricing Plan (EDSP) whose 12-month promotional pricing has expired will increase $3 per month.

The change will be automatic—it won’t interrupt your Internet service. You’ll see your new monthly rate in your February/March 2021 bill.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

2 years ago

@mpodracky 

Actually many cell phone and TV providers, as well as other services, operate like this resulting in 30% or so difference after the first year. That is why it is important to read the order confirmation and monthly bills to verify how much those discounts are so you know what to expect for full cost.

You talk about loyalty for existing customers, yet have only been with them a single year. That is not loyalty but just completing your initial special.

Intro discounts are for what should be a smaller number of customers joining as opposed to a larger number of existing customers satisfied with their service. That starting discount has to be deep enough to attract business, especially for those that already have service with another provider. Intro discounts are not sustainable for the business.

The department many refer to as "loyalty" is in reality cancellation/retention. They try to find options for you to stay, thereby getting your continued "loyalty". Even if you had been with them for years it doesn't guarantee you get what you want. And certainly with only a year you really haven't built up any worth with them as they have to make money back on the investment from that intro discount.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

There is no mention of a price increase for fiber after one year anywhere on the AT&T website.  I've searched everywhere and read the "fine print" pages and there is nothing saying the price will increase, or that the price for the fiber service is a special or introductory price.  If AT&T raises the cost, I'll be back to Spectrum immediately.   I'm guessing this could begin an annual dance of leaving one ISP for a "new customer" deal on the other.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.9K Messages

1 year ago

Then you are paying full price already. Most markets are $80 per month for internet 1000 plus the $10 monthly gateway fee. New customers get $20 discount for the first 12 months. Look at your billing statement to see if you have any discounts. 

sanman202

• 

249 Messages

1 year ago

It shows the introductory $20 off is for the first 12 months when you click the see offer details link in the package options. Also on the commercials in the small print it also shows it. When I signed up two months ago i was aware it is $20 for for 12 months. 

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

I went back and looked at all the marketing/sales pages on the AT&T website and checked AGAIN the fine print pages and there is no mention of a price increase or discount for the fiber plans.  Now that I have installation scheduled and a fiber account established, I can log into my account and there's a page that says I'm getting a plan discount for the first 12 months. 

It's not easy to find this page inside my account, and none of this plan information is available ANYWHERE outside of my account.  I find this sleazy and deceptive.  Also, none of the technical details about the fiber service are available to read before ordering fiber.  Add the inability to log into my account until after two days of customer support help, and an unexpected/uncoordinated change in my installation time/date, I'm not going into this with a good feeling.

sanman202

• 

249 Messages

1 year ago

I don't think they're hiding much. It is clear when you look at the packages with the link. If you aren't happy with them, then i'd look at another service. 

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Just to back up Essentia here. I am a careful reader of fine print and a link follower, and they do NOT say anywhere that their fiber offerings are an introductory price. What gave them the moxie to do this after 50 years of precedent, where sales offers ALWAYS reveal the real deal in the fine print, I don't know. The only way I found out was by chatting with a sales rep. 

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

OK, Some more information and a correction of sorts here: Yes, they DO provide info on the >12 mo price increase, before you actually place your order. But only after you add a product to your cart; then the special links are revealed. To their credit, one of the links is "See estimated future bills," where you get to see clearly that the bill goes up $20/mo after 12 months.

Still. I start putting things in carts AFTER I've decided on a product, not while I am shopping. That they wait til nearly the last moment to reveal the full deal is...well, consistent with my sense that AT&T is a company to avoid when possible.

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.9K Messages

1 year ago

Do you feel the same way about taxes and shipping fees from online retailers? You typically don’t see those until after you add items to a cart and begin the checkout process. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.