AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
itparle's profile

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Oct 4, 2022 3:36 PM

Moving Service was a Nightmare

I am posting this here, not to ask a question, but more as an open letter to AT&T. I recently moved to a new apartment, actually, I only moved one door down to the apartment next door, and it was an all-around horrible experience. On August 5th I placed my first call with AT&T support to set up the upcoming move on September 30th. That call went fine, the woman I spoke with was very helpful and quickly set up the move, and even told me I was eligible to receive a $200 gift card for sticking with AT&T after moving. She told me my service would end in my current apartment on September 30th and begin in the new apartment the same day. The first problem began on August 27th, when I received a text message from AT&T informing me that my internet service was ending the next day, August 28th, for my move, 34 days before my actual move. Obviously, this was an error, so I immediately called support to sort this out. Being as it was a Saturday; it was quite difficult to actually get a hold of someone. After a few attempts to reach someone through the automated secretary system, I finally got to speak to a representative. I explained the problem, that my service did NOT need to end the next day but rather September 30th, and that it was crucial that my apartment kept our internet service for the month of September, as my wife works from home. The representative informed me that there was nothing to worry about, and my service would proceed, and the transfer would happen September 30th. Of course, the next day I wake up to find that our internet service had indeed been cut off, despite the representative's claims otherwise. So now, on August 28th, 34 days before I would be in the new apartment, my service had ended. Of course, I immediately call support and of course, it takes a painful amount of navigating the automated system to ever reach someone, and I explain my situation, again, very clearly. I explained that service has ended in my current apartment and that I need it turned back on for the remainder of the month. I explained that I need the transfer to happen on September 30th. This is where things began to get a little ridiculous. Over the course of a 1 hour and 15-minute phone call, this representative told me that there is no way to return service to my current apartment, that my account could no longer be associated with the unit I lived in. This seemed strange to me, and I said as such, I said that surely it was possible to simply reinstate service via the data distribution center, and she told me that she didn't think it was possible. She placed me on hold so she could speak with her supervisor about it, and when she returned, she told me the same thing; there was no way to reactivate service. I finally caved and asked her what we could do to get service back, as it was Monday the next day, and we needed internet for my wife to do her job. The representative told me the only solution she knew of was to start me up with a new account, send over a new box of equipment, and have a technician install the equipment. She told me this was the ONLY way to get internet back into my apartment. After questioning how this was the only way further and explaining that I needed it before the next day, she told me the earliest that this could all be completed was Wednesday. Again, I asked, is there NO WAY to simply turn service back on on my account, she put me on hold once again. After a short wait she returned with good news! She reached out to someone else who works in distribution, and it turns out that yes, they can simply turn service back on. Feeling elated, I was transferred to this new representative, who assured me that they could turn service back on immediately, and that the previous discussion about setting up a new account and new equipment for my apartment that I only had for 34 more days, was absurd. This representative turned my internet back on, much to my relief, and everything was sorted. They told me that as compensation for my trouble, they would remove my upcoming bill, so that I would have a free month of service. Feeling extremely grateful, the call ended, and life went on. Service was back on, and I didn't have to do the insane and start a new account, with new equipment, and a technician appointment. I thought everything was situated now, until two days later, when a package from AT&T showed up at my door. Surprise! It's a new set of equipment for internet access! Surprise! I have an appointment with a technician to install said new equipment coming up! Turns out, the first representative DID set me up with a new account and send me new equipment. Obviously, this was unnecessary, so I canceled the technician appointment, and headed to the nearby AT&T store to return the equipment. I was told at the AT&T store that I could not just hand them the box, but that I needed to go to a UPS or FedEx store and mail it to AT&T. So, I headed to the UPS store and handed it off to them, the employee there gave me a sage bit of advice: hold on to the receipt for 5 years, as he had heard from people before that that they had been charged for the equipment years after they had returned it.  The next issue arose when I received my monthly bill, yet another surprise, the bill had in fact NOT been wiped, like I was told it would be previously. This time I tried the live chat feature on the AT&T website and was told there was no note of this happening on my account, but they would pass it along to their supervisor who could see about removing the charge. This never happened. I paid the bill eventually, despite being told that it would be paid off for me, for my troubles. Moving on, the problems weren't quite over yet. Moving day comes! Friday, September 30th. I wake up, service is ended in the apartment, like it was supposed to, so far so good. I get a call from the AT&T tech who was scheduled for my new unit setup. He tells me he will be there in 10 minutes. It is 8 AM. I cannot get the key to the new apartment until 10 AM. I tell him this, he says no problem, he'll go on another appointment first, and come by after 10. Around 10:30 or so, I am in the new apartment waiting for the tech to show up. I see an AT&T vehicle in the parking lot outside. Good, he's here, I think. Aaaaaaand he drove right by. Okay, maybe he's going to park on the other side of the building? Nope. Never shows back up. About 10 minutes later I get a text. "Your appointment has been canceled." Okay. Fine. Whatever. I can install the equipment myself. It's just plugging a router in. I do it, I go through the steps, nothing. No internet. Okay, I call AT&T again to get a tech back out to help me figure out the problem. The earliest appointment available is Monday. After a bit of discussion, we get the appointment scheduled for Monday 8 am - 10 am. The tech shows up at 8:30ish and fixes the problem. Something about the router had to be replaced. Didn't take too long and the tech was great, really nice guy. Our network is finally up, and all the problems are gone. Except, I now have a weird second account tied to me. A second account number saying it is internet, but it doesn't have a service address and never receives any bills. Oh, and the $200 gift card I was supposed to receive for my continued service of AT&T? Of course, it says I can't redeem it on the AT&T rewards site, because I guess I deserved one final insult for my troubles. So, combined with the bill I was told would be paid off for me that never was paid off, we can chock that up to $276 worth of lies I was told throughout this frustrating nightmare of a move. All in all, I would rate my experience with this move a 2/10, it gets the 2 points solely for the tech who actually came to the apartment and was great. I gotta say, I do love those fiber speeds though. Consistent ~970 down and ~900 up? Very nice. But yes, something needs to be done to make this process easier for anyone moving in the future, and the reward website would be great if it would actually give the rewards I was promised. 

Okay, that's the end of my little rant. Thank you for reading, if anyone did. 

dave006

Scholar

• 

3.3K Messages

2 months ago

Oh, and the $200 gift card I was supposed to receive for my continued service of AT&T? Of course, it says I can't redeem it on the AT&T rewards site, because I guess I deserved one final insult for my troubles.

If you received the physical reward card but can't activate it using the Reward Web site. Try the Automated Phone activation number instead.

The most recent Visa Reward cards don't see compatible with the Web activation system but work just fine using the Automated Phone activation number.

And before you report is shows a balance of $0.00. Once you claim the reward navigate back to the main phone menu before checking the balance again.

Dave

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

@dave006 

Thanks for the response, Dave. I never did receive a physical reward card. I was told after I move to put my account number into the reward center site, but now when I do input the account number it says I am not eligible for a reward.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.