HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!



1 Message

Fri, Aug 10, 2018 1:45 AM

Fiber Plans Honest answer

I have been a wireless customer with AT&T for over 2 years now. So I canceled my previous internet and television provider that was giving me 150mbps speeds and decent television. The reason I canceled and bundled with Directv for television and AT&T for internet was to bundle all three items together and have a way cheaper cost for internet, tv, and wireless. The problem is I only get 12mbps download speeds from AT&T in my area and that is DSL. I did not know that there would be this huge of a difference. Directv's on demand movies and shows will barely play and when they do it buffers every 1-2 minutes. I can no longer play my online games on my XBOX without lagging all over the place. If your going to bundle internet an television together I don't understand how your internet cannot support your on demand features. I think this should be posted or described before people order service. I spoke with an AT&T rep on the chat live feature on AT&T's website and he said he spoke with the internet operations manager in my area and they stated that they were in the middle of bringing fiber and faster speeds to my area. I ask if he knew a estimated time line an he stated that It would be here soon. I just gave up after that. Could someone please confirm if my area is in future plans of upgrading equipment in my neighborhood for at least 50mbps and above internet service so that I can continue playing my games and watching on demand? I feel like this rep was sort of dodging the question and feeding me what he had to to keep me as a customer. I live in Rockwood, Michigan and the zip code is 48173. If there is future plans to do so, what is the timeline? I don't know how much longer I can go with this speed of internet. Thank you.


Accepted Solution

Official Solution

my thoughts



15.3K Messages

2 years ago

Honest answer, no first line employee tech or support is going to have an answer for any particular address that is not already in the database for service.


The company is expanding fiber (FTTP, fiber to the premise) service to at least 12.5+ million addresses in 71+ markets in 21 states. At the end of June 9 million addresses were available to order 100 to 1000 internet with about 25% being MDU (multi dwelling units) such as apartment, condo complexes. The 12.5 million represents about 18% of all addresses. The flip side 80+% of addresses will not have direct fiber by 2020 but around 30 million will have VDSL FTTN (fiber to the node or neighborhood) with Uverse IPTV option with speeds from 25, 50, 75 or 100 depending on copper loop length from VRAD.


Additionally about 20 million will have fiber based ADSL2+ from the CO (Central Office) or RT (Remote Terminal) offering speeds from 18, 12, 10, 6, 5, 3, 1.5, .76 with no Uverse IPTV option only DirecTv. Together these three platforms cover about 80% of all addresses. The remaining 20% have 4G LTE or Fixed Wireless as internet option from ATT.


Your area appears to be south of Detroit market, most fiber is north and west of Detroit...


However there is fiber in an MDU in Monroe, which is south of you...


Your community is less than 4000 population, in my mind rural, but does have areas that have VDSL 75M internet. Meaning there is fiber in some neighborhoods...


If your street, address will be one of those receiving anupgrade  in the next 16 months, could not say. No one could as that information of future plans is not made public. Recommend checking with local government offices for permits by ATT contractors that would actually be the one installing fiber to the street level either aerial on poles or trenching, boring underground. This will be your best source you short term.


Hopefully the company will make an announcement in the next year about a phase 2 extension for another 12.5 million over 4 years (2020-2023) bringing the total to 25 million or about 33% of addresses. To put this in perspective, Uverse FTTN took from 2006-2015, 10 years to cover 33 million addresses or about 3.3 million a year thus 2015-2019 FTTP of 12.5 is about the same rate of coverage.


This is about as honest of answers I expect you will receive unless you know of upper level management in your area that has private information. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.