Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
tommy99's profile
tommy99
20th Community Anniversary
#1 Star!
Helpful 1

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

Tuesday, December 26th, 2017 5:08 PM

Does having Gigapower Fiber allows for ATT to monitor my internet access?

Hi, I tried searching and did not find any answers.

My friends say that to have Gigapower means ATT have full access to my internet activity and can use it however they choose. I don't remember reading that anywhere and have read online that ATT did away with that in late 2016. But with Net Neutrality gone, will this mean ATT will come back with that "pay more for privacy" deal? I currently have the Gigapower 1000 package.

Thanks for any feedback/comments,

Tommy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Constructive

Employee

• 

30.4K Messages

5 years ago

LOL no not any more than with dsl or dial up. all they can do is see how much data you are using same as any other service.

_xyzzy_

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

ATT is just your pipe to get internet access.  It doesn't matter the form of the pipe be it copper or fiber.  But there is monitoring of some material somewhere depending on your mode of access and who you are connecting to.  That's why the "three strikes rule" was put into place.  You might want to read the following thread:

Copyright Alert Program

tommy99

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the link and it's good to read.

I'm not doing any peer-to-peer downloads.

Just wanted to know if ATT monitor my access.

Thanks,

Tommy 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

AT&T bought Time warner and several other media/entertainment/tv channels right after their sucessful pioneering (with other "partners" such as the monopoly and anti-trust company Microsoft) to get the FCC to remove Net Neutrality.

(Under net neutrality everyone in the US had the right to visit any site, have privacy(unless agreeing to a site's (such as Google) "Terms of Services" agreement) you also had protection from monitoring and or censorship and or "throttling down the speed of certain sites" by any Internet Service Provider in the US so long as you were not breaking any US laws (copyright infringement discovered by deep packet inspection). All of this is gone now.  You bet your ISP is monitoring your every Internet activity now! For further info. on this subject go to eff.org (Electronic Freedom Foundation).  You can also expect your ISP to block or charge a fee for sites they do not want you to access or sites / services who are not owned or partnered with your ISP research denied mergers (remember when they split up Ma Bell years ago) and though Netscape won the Anti-Trust suit against Microsoft, do you see Netscape Navigator anymore? As the old saying goes buyer beware! I was a Systems Administrator  (head of Information Technology IT) for some years back prior and in the beginning of this millinium. I was also a Microsoft Trained Systems Builder,  a Microsoft Beta Tester, and when it was actually something other than a beta tester like it is today, an official Microsoft Insider. (Not to be confused with today's Windows Insider, or Server Insider which is Microsoft's new name for Beta Tester)

I hope this helps. (PLEASE NOTE AT&T, MICROSOFT, NETSCAPE, BELL, WINDOWS, MICROSOFT SYSTEM BUILDER, MICROSOFT INSIDER ARE REGISTERED TRADEMARKS OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS, NO INFRINGEMENT, VIOLATIONS OF ANY NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENTS, ENDORSEMENTS, DISENDORSEMENTS ARE IMPLIED, OR INTENDED, INTENTIONAL, NOR SHOULD THEY BE ASSUMED BY THE BY THE READER OF THIS POST OR ANY RESPECTIVE COMPANIES, THIS POSTER HAS ONLY INTENDED TO SUPPLY INFORMATION EASILY OBTAINABLE BY RESEARCH OR PUBLIC RECORDS, COURT RECORDS, OR NEWS REPORTS.)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.