Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
F

• 

1 Message

Fri, Jun 18, 2021 3:16 AM

Current AT&T Fiber Customer, moving to a new address that only has copper.

To start this off, I'm in an unfortunate bind when it comes to my internet access. I currently live in a house with fiber access, and the new place I'm moving to shows fiber access available according to the FCC broadband map, however when I go to search my address on the AT&T website, it shows only Internet 50, which is obviously a significant downgrade to my current 1000/1000 access.

Is there any chance AT&T will upgrade the current infrastructure to my new address? Or is it time to start looking into other options? I'd rather not suffer with 50mbps for who knows how long.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

19.2K Messages

1 y ago

Internet 50 is FIBER TO THE NODE (FTTN) deployed from 2006 to end 2015 reaching over 33 million addresses during that time. Internet speeds based upon facilities and last distance copper lengths are 100/20, 75/20, 50/10, 45/6, 25/5, 25/2. The longer the copper the lower the speeds offered.

From 2016 to current the deployment of FIBER TO THE PREMISE (FTTP) has reached 15 million addresses at start of 2021 with another 7 million planned during the 2021-2022 deployment which will reach 22 million by 2023. 

Many of the 7 million will be FTTN upgrades, but with 24 million current FTTN if 5 million were upgraded could not see which ones until after the 2 year period is completed. Thus about 20% chance your new address would be FTTP within next 18 months.

Your choice where to move to and which ISP to use.

Over the past year I have noticed more addresses using 2 ISPs, due to both virtual schooling and WFH many cannot really afford to be 3 or more days without internet while waiting on repairs. They are finding it better to pay for a redunant second provider than to be without. This may be something to consider... keep internet 50 and consider another ISP in addition to ATT service. 

ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

192.1K Messages

1 y ago

Hi @Fivesss, we are delighted you have been a faithful AT&T supporter.

Check out our coverage map to see where AT&T Fiber is currently, and cities that are underway. If AT&T Fiber is available, you can order now!

Note:  AT&T Internet is not available in all areas, but AT&T is working to change that! Below, you will find information explaining:

• Why services may not be available?
  • Other AT&T internet options?
  • News about AT&T Fiber expansions?
  1. Distance – AT&T Internet is a distance-dependent service. If you are too far away from the equipment, certain services may not be available. This means your neighbor may have service but your home cannot.  
  2. Equipment is not available – To get service, AT&T Internet equipment has to be in the area. In some instances, it isn't. We do not have information if or when it will be.
  3. The area is not built for U-verse – some areas are not U-verse ready. The Community team does not have information if or when it will be. Distance and equipment can play a key in instances like this.
  4. Another competitor services there area - This happens from time to time but it does not mean all services are not available to you. Check out other internet options below!

Note: In order to get higher speeds, you must be within a certain distance of the serving equipment or the equipment must be present in the area. Points 1 and 2 apply in these scenarios. If internet is not available, there are other options.

If you have any additional concerns, please feel free to reach out to us.

Thank you for contacting us on AT&T Community Forums!

Lafayette, AT&T Community 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.