What is happening with 3G?
G

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2022 3:33 PM

With new ATT Cell Booster, do you have to register all individual cell phones allowed access like the old Micro Cell ?

My old ATT MicroCell required a manual input of all approved users to access the MicroCell.

Just changed to the new ATT Cell Booster.

Is there a similar requirement to register individual cell numbers permitted to access my new ATT Cell Booster

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@gasearch If you read my other post about the Cell Booster I explain that AT&T Marketing chose to use the term "cell booster" for product identification. Most people have a working knowledge of what a cellular booster is but haven't a clue as to what a femtocell is.

The Cell Booster has a range of about 3,000 sq.ft. If you have your Cell Booster along an outside wall, it's possible that someone could hop on your CB while they were within range but my guess is that they wouldn't even know. There is no alpha tag (AT&T M-Cell for example) that is displayed now (at least so far) that indicates that one is connected.

Hacking into your home would require someone sitting outside your house, taking the time to figure out that they were connected to your Cell Booster, and then trying to figure out how to get past your security settings in your router. Now, if you live in an apartment that's different matter altogether but gaining access to your Cell Booster also means that they are going thru  AT&T's servers as well.

This forum will be renamed "4G Cell Booster" or something like that in about 2 or 3 weeks from now so all of the questions concerning the Cell Booster will remain here in one place. My Tech Guide will also be renamed.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

Moving this to the correct part of the Forum. The new device is being called a cell booster but that is a misnomer. It is a femtocell just like the 3-g MicroCell

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

All this is above my paygrade... and not wanting to argue with  you, but the ATT box clearly reads "AT&T Cell Booster(sm)"

My concern of where you moved my question is you placed my question in a forum related to the old MicroCell discussions, or 4-5-6 years ago

My question is regarding current technology, not the old technology

But, if I knew what I was doing then I probably wouldn't be asking for help.. smile...

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@gasearch No. The Cell Booster (which is still a femtocell as pointed out) is an "open" system now. In other words, there is no Approved Users List so the "owner" of the Cell Booster can not add or delete phone numbers for access. You are allowed up to 8 simultaneous users at any one time but any AT&T user can access your Cell Booster if within range. And there is no way to know who is accessing it.

I should be posting an update to my MircroCell Tech Guide (link is in my sig) to reflect the new Cell Booster very soon.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

OK - that answers my primary question on whether I need to manually input "approved" cell numbers - but from your description, it appears anyone walking down the sidewalk can jump on my CellBooster and I have no control over their access.

Brings up another question - should I be concerned about someone on the sidwalk being able to hack into my home computers through this CellBooster, since the CellBooster is connected to my router box, of which my home computers are also connected to that same router box?

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks !   always a delight to learn from others.  Thanks for taking the time to help me and others - Joe

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@gasearch You're welcome. There will be lots of information in the Tech Guide and I will post when it is available. A lot of it will be similar to the original MicroCell Tech Guide because they are both femtocells (same basic operating parameters) but it will be totally dedicated to the Cell Booster. I plan on submitting it for review next week so hopefully it will be poster shortly thereafter.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

How does one get to the cellbooster forums 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

2 years ago

@dawhartontx , you're there now:

AT&T Community Forums > Wireless Forum > Phones & Devices >
AT&T Cell Booster

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@JefferMC  Thanks for closing the other post. I forgot after I moved it ☹️.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.