What is happening with 3G?
schmidt1x's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Mar 9, 2022 6:41 PM

Wifi Calling alternative

I live in a rural area with poor cell coverage and relying on WiFi calling for business. Is there a cell device I can connect directly to the router that broadcasts a cell signal (femto???) to bypass wifi??

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

73blazer

• 

57 Messages

4 m ago

Yes! It's AT&T's new LTE FemToCell, which they call a "booster". It's not a booster however, it's a true FemToCell. Alot of us had the opportunity to get free ones if you had the old 3g FemToCell (generally people called that the MicroCell).  Right now, the free thing is gone, and they are slated to go on sale in the next few weeks.

If you wait just a few weeks, you should see them for sale. I wouldn't bother talking to a store or calling AT&T, as most reps and stores are not versed and from what I gather, have no idea these LTE FemToCells even exist.

They have a page for it now: https://www.att.com/buy/accessories/specialty-items/att-cell-booster-cool-grey.html?q=booster

It says out of stock but the sale page is brand new, from what I gather there should be some to buy in the next few weeks so just keep checking the page.

(edited)

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4 m ago

@schmidt1x Depending on what you use for internet service AT&T's Cell Booster may help. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is still preferred but the Cell Booster may be more reliable.

The Cell Booster will go on sale in a couple of weeks for $229. Probably first on AT&T' website and then in the Corporate Stores and then the Reseller Stores.

Please read my Cell Booster Guide, link is in my sig line , to get an idea on how it works, the minimum requirements for your internet connection, the

phone, how to set it up, etc.

Just be aware that rural areas can be difficult, as it was for the MicroCell (AT&T's first femtocell), because of GPS location verification. Again, that's all explained in my Tech Guide.

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.