For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Beej1987's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, August 23rd, 2014 1:26 AM

New Microcell Says Software Update Error During Activation

During the second stage of activation for my Microcell (new black model) I received the message "Software Update Error".

I followed the instructions but nothing is happening. I still have the bold red error message and activation is not progressing.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I would start all over again and reboot your entire system (router, etc).  I just setup the new "black" MicroCell for a test and it worked just fine.Took almost an hour from out of the box to my iPhone 5 connecting.

If your're still having issues, post back with your setup and maybe we can help you.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks, I'll try that.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I removed the device from my account and disconnected the cable modem, router and Microcell and removed the ethernet cable from the Microcell. I waited a minute before reconnecting in this order: power to cable modem, power to router, ethernet to Microcell, power to Microcell.

I waited until the power, ethernet and GPS lights were solid green before starting the activation process. Several hours later I have the same error message: Your 3G MicroCell software update was unsuccessful.

I have attempted to check my router (Linksys WRT54G) settings but I just can't find most of the stuff in the list to even be able to check them.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Just so you know.... I asked some question on here previously about a Microcell. I bought it used. It was the orange and white one. I never did manage to get it activated so returned it and bought a new device. Those questions don't apply to my current Microcell.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

As to your first MicroCell, if you bought it used it may not have been properly deactivated so it was still tied to the original account.

The new MicroCell, you might want to try to set it up again and then do a hard reset. There is a little reset hole on the back of the unit. After you have registered the unit (name, sn, address, etc) turn off the power to the MicroCell. I keep mine on a UPS so all I have to do is push a button. Hold in the reset button with a paperclip and restore the power. Keep holding in the button for about 30 seconds and then release it. That forces the MicroCell back to default settings ( see Initial Activation in my Tech Guide, link in my sig) and starts the Initial Activation process all over again. Something may have gotten hungup during the first firmware update so the reset procedure hopefull will clear it and the update will proceed smoothly.

If you can get past the update phase and end up with a blinking green 3G light and no final activation, you may have to check your router settings to make sure you meet the minimum required settings. As far as how to check them, that will be up to you unless Avedis53 or someone else will walk you thru it. AT&T is not responsible for helping people setup and check their routers because there's just too many out there with different firmware and setup needs. The only router I'm currently familiar with is the Apple Base Station Extreme (AEBS) so I wouldn't want to mislead or confuse you if I attempted to help you with your settings.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

The other device made it to the last stage but also never completed activation. I never was able to use it.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Like I said, the other device may not have been deactivated by the original owner so you wouldn't be able to activate it, hence the blinking green 3G light. Unfortunately, the blinkng green 3G light can have many causes.

It is possible that the new MicroCell is defective. I just installed the DPH154 with no issues at all so I have two functioning MicroCell's at one address. A DPH131 (original) and the new DPH154.

Here's some questions. There may be something here that we can help you with.

MicroCell™ TroubleShooting Questions:

1. Do you have an active postpaid AT&T mobile account?
  2. Do you have a combined modem/router or a separate modem and router? What are the model numbers?
  3. Have you met the minimum requirements for router configuration as outlined in the Tech Guide?
  4. What are your download and upload speeds?
  5. What kind of internet service do you have (ADSL, cable, WiFi)?
  6. Are you using the basic connection (modem -> router -> MicroCell) or the alternate connection (modem -> MicroCell -> router)?
  7. What other equipment (computers, WiFi TV’s, Xboxes, Playstations, etc.) do you have connected to your network?
  8. What does the light pattern look like on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G)? Are they all a solid green or is any of them blinking green or red, and if so, which one?
  9. Does the ac adapter feel warmer than the top of the MicroCell where the vents are?
  10. Are all of the cables firmly in place?
  11. Have you checked your line speed (http://www.speedtest.net/)? If so, please post results.
  12. Have you checked to see if you line is adequate for VoIP

(http://www.voipqualitytest.com/)? If so, please post your results.

13. Have you looked at the Tech Guide?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Remove the Linksys router from your home network and connect the Mcell directly to your modem and see if you can activate it.  This will help us eliminate the router as a potential source of your problem.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the help!

Activation completed this evening. For a few minutes we had 5 bars and I texted everybody in the house to celebrate. 🙂 it worked perfectly....for a few minutes. Now I'm back to no service.

I restarted my phone but still no service. I remember seeing a lot of posts here with that issue so I'll start digging for answers again.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

If the alternate connection didn't work (MicroCell -> modem) then it's not a configuration setting in the router because you've taken it out of the chain. That leaves the MicroCell or your ISP (blocked port, wiring, etc). You can send the MicroCell back after you get an RMA because it's possible you got one that was DOA. If the warranty replacement doesn't work, then we need to look more closely at your setup and ISP.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.